Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know what this port is? (Old laptop)

Options
  • 03-02-2007 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

I'm taking apart this old laptop, to see if I can scavenge it's screen. There is a port on the back of it though that I can't quite remember what it is for.

It's an old 486 Laptop, Toshiba T2130CT so I have no documentation for it any more.

Here's a pic of the port.

I drew a little picture of the icon that is above the port, in case it's hard too see in the photo.
    port1bq0.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

It's for a docking station or port replicator I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Yeah, I'd say the same.

I dunno what you're expecting to be able to do with the display. I'll eat my hat if it has any video inputs that are in any way useful with anything besides that particular laptop (and maybe similar models).

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

I'll eat my hat if it has any video inputs that are in any way useful with anything besides that particular laptop (and maybe similar models).

Yeah I've heard that this is often the case. However right now, I'll be delighted just to get the thing fully disassembled. I get the feeling the engineers who designed this laptop are now working on fort knox.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

yeah it's a docking port - the bolts at the side are tapered so the cone shapped pins on the port guide it into the right place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

Wow ... that is an old laptop .... my first job after leaving college was prepping Tecra laptops for an insurance company ... I must have handled hundreds of those things ... they were great laptops in their day! I think that's 15 years ago!

That port is the 100-pin expansion connector for docking station or port replicator ... marketed by Toshiba as Deskstations

pic from ebay ... http://i17.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/88/04/0c52_1.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

DaSilva wrote:
    I'm taking apart this old laptop, to see if I can scavenge it's screen.

My recollection is the display on those Tecras was 640 x 480 x 256 colors ... which was just fine for Windows 3.11 ... not sure how much use you will get out of that screen now.

I do remember they were an absolute pig to work on .. if you had to do any RAM or hard disk replacements/upgrades, you could spend hours at it. I was feeling a bit nostalgic for them *shakes head* but I'm over it now

good luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

trout wrote:
    My recollection is the display on those Tecras was 640 x 480 x 256 colors ... which was just fine for Windows 3.11 ... not sure how much use you will get out of that screen now.

I do remember they were an absolute pig to work on .. if you had to do any RAM or hard disk replacements/upgrades, you could spend hours at it. I was feeling a bit nostalgic for them *shakes head* but I'm over it now

good luck !

It's just to be used for console Linux :)

Still going to take some work though 51 different wires coming from it that used to attach to the motherboard.

Funny thing about the board once I have it opened up is, I can't see the CPU anywhere. There a wobbly plastic box sitting at the back of the board, that seems to be the PSU, and I assume the CPU is inside there also, as it's nowhere else to be seen.

Here's some nostalgia for you, some of the parts of this laptop.
    Megahertz PCMCIA 14kbps Fax Modem (with XJack!)
    Xircom Ethernet adapter, that doesn't have any RJ45 or any other regular network socket for that matter.
    500mb HD
    Floppy Drive.
    Think the monitor supports 640 480, and 65535 colours
    8mb of ram.

This thing was a beast when my dad got it, and it still worked today except for the hard drive is either dead or corrupt. Until I tore it apart that is :P

Have it dissasembled now, but it took me hours, as I really didn't want to damage anything, and tried to keep it intact so it could be reassembled, but I got stuck half way through, and had to start clipping bits of plastic, to get too screws :( , nothing damaged though I don't think.

Advertisement