Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ram type query

Options
  • 03-02-2007 7:47pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey -

I posted here a while ago about a problem I was having with RAM on the PC... can't find the post, but basically the computer wouldn't boot up with the 1gb card in, in any configuration (on its own, in slot A with another card, in slot b etc.) so I sent it back to the site I got it from.

Now - I'm not sure if the card was broken or if we got the wrong type, so before I spend the credit for the site on the same card of a new model, I want to make sure the next one I get is the right kind... so is there any way I can find out exactly what kind of ram is compatible with the machine?

The current cards in the machine are DDR 182 pin, pc2700, 256mb each... the mb can take up to 2gb.

The mb itself is an ms-6701, but I can't find anything out about it on the MSI website... apparently it takes DDR DIMM (which is 182 pin, so I don't think that was the error I made last time).

Can the machine take pc3200 cards? I'm not sure, given that the two existing cards are pc2700, but maybe someone can clarify.

The pc is a medion, model PC MT6... OS is WinXP sp2.

Thanks for any help, just want to make sure I make the right purchase this time!

Adam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Crucial.com list your motherboard with support for DDR PC3200,DDR PC2700,DDR PC4000 speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

go here,http://www.crucial.com/, download and run their system scanner which will tell you exactly which type of ram is compatible with your computer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

cheers for that - I assume PC4000 would be the best to go for then?

What's wierd about it is that it seems to say the computer has 3 slots when it only has two - it does correctly identify what's in the two slots, but says there's another empty one... not that I'm aware of!

Thanks for the link though - will order a slightly different module than before just to be sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

There is the possibility you won't get any benefit from using PC4000 over 2700. Generally from my experience, any faster DDR DIMMs will work on a PC that does not specifically support these speeds or is running at these speeds (e.g. putting PC3200 in a computer that will only run as high as PC2100).

What processor does your PC have? Also, looking up the specs of the chipset on their manufacturer's site (e.g. Intel, Via, nvidia, etc.) might give you a better idea of what speed it can actually run the RAM at.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

It's an Intel P4 2.66Ghz processor - don't mind if I can't get the best RAM available - once it works!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

The 6701 is a bastardised MSI board, very hard to get info for.

/I have 1gb 2x512 2700 if you want them.

kdjac

Advertisement