Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

poor starting

Options
  • 03-02-2007 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine has a 1998 Ibiza 1.0cc

The car has started giving trouble lately.

When the car is cold it can be quite hard to start. The engine is turning but it takes about 30 seconds using the accelerator to start. Then sometimes once its just started it cuts out again.
    When its hot its alot easier to start.

Also while driving it can hesitate when the accelerator is pressed and can be quite jumpy (it only does this occasionly)

I changed the water temp sender today in the hope it would solve the problem but its still there.

Can anyone advise what should be attempted next?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Spark plugs might be good to look at or replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Some VW group models have a 'hedgehog' heater in the intake manifold that heats intake air during the cold running phase. If changing the plugs makes no odds then check the hedgehog.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

had a similar problem with my pug 106, mechanic said it was something to do with moisture getting into the coil(s)?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

kdouglas wrote:
    had a similar problem with my pug 106, mechanic said it was something to do with moisture getting into the coil(s)?

You could be onto something here - Seats (and VWs) of that vintage suffered from dodgey spark plug leads. Usually a dodgey spark plug lead displayed symptoms at all temperatures, but worth checking into. For some models it is possible to buy the plug end of the lead rather than the whole lead.

Advertisement