Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing software on shared PC

Options
  • 02-02-2007 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm wondering about the best procedure for installing misc. software on a shared PC (several different logons). I had thought about using policies, but it appears that only works for .MSI files. What I really want to prevent is UserA installing software & UserB either seeing it on his Start menu, or being prompted for information by that software when he/ she logs in.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

SH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

A simple way would be install the software for all users, but hide it from the users you don't want to be able to use them (and deny them rights to said executables and/or adding stuff to the desktop/start menu). However, it could be very annoying to do with a large amount of users - how many are we talking about here?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭SparrowHawk

Hi zilog_jones,

Thanks for the reply,

We're just talking a couple of users - but I really don't want to have to do this for each piece of software that a user install - sounds a little messy tbh. Thanks for the advice though - appreciated.

SH

Advertisement