Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicine anyone?

Options
  • 02-02-2007 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭

i have heard stuff recently that the department of education is planning to introduce a new entry system for medecine and other courses above the 550 mark. supposedly they plan to fix the points at 480 (i think!!) and then introduce interviews, SAT tests etc. has anyone heard anything about this? i would love to do medecine, but the points are a bit too out of my reach ( i got 555 in my xmas and 560 in the mocks, just to show you that i am trying really hard to get to the mark!) . while i understand that the high points separates the 'wannabes' from the 'real deal', i know a few people who are only going for medecine because its the hardest course to get into, and have some misconcieved notion that because they can get these points they should aim for that these courses!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Actually the high points hasn't got that much to do with seperating the "wannabes" from the "real deal". Medecine simply has a very high demand. More power to you for going for it if it's what you really want(and not, oh I'm smart, I'll get 600, I'll do medecine).

I don't know if the lowering points is going to be implemented for us, but something like that is eventually happening.

In any case, if you don't get the required points you can always do science and transfer to medecine 2 years later or something, I know you can do something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

really? i have never heard of that! i have asked my guidance councellor about it and she seems to think that the only other way in is graduate medecine- after at least a three year undergrad science degree. also you have to pay for the five years of your grad study so i'm trying to avoid that route if i can!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭nikolaitr

If you do a course that is similiar to medicine you might be able to transfer if you are really good. And I mean really good. Top 1 or 2 out of a class of 200 who are all 450+ points students. Not that easy.

If you want to do medicine but don't think you will get the points, try science or nursing and work damn hard. But keep in mind LC science is nothing like college science

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 UnaC

nikolaitr wrote:
    If you do a course that is similiar to medicine you might be able to transfer if you are really good. And I mean really good. Top 1 or 2 out of a class of 200 who are all 450+ points students. Not that easy.

I don't mean to be a downer, but it is in fact impossible.
    There is no other entry route to medicine other than through the points initially, or later on after your primary degree as a graduate.
    No university will admit you to medicine based on your 1st year results, regardless of how good they are.

I am in final year of my BSc now, and I've had to wait this long to apply as a graduate both here and in the UK. If you are really serious about it, do a health sciences/biological sciences undergrad, work hard, and apply to the GEP when you have your degree. Who knows, by then you might feel medicine isn't your niche after all, and you will appreciate the maturity you will have gained through your 4years in college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

<H1>Medicine entry requirements to change

Monday, 19 May 2008 11:23 </H1>Details of new requirements to study medicine are being sent to schools this week.
    Students will no longer have to rely solely on their Leaving Certificate results to gain entry to courses.
    From next year, applicants will have to get a minimum of 480 points and complete a special admissions test.
    Advertisement

The test will measure a candidate's reasoning and problem-solving skills, as well as their ability to understand the thoughts and behaviour of people.
    From next year, anyone wanting to study medicine in Ireland will have to pass the test.
    Applicants will still have to get a minimum of 480 points and meet the relevant entry requirements in the Leaving Cert.
    The first tests will be held in February 2009 and will cost around €95.
    Minister for Education Batt O'Keeffe said this move, along with additional places in medicine, will help ease the pressure on applicants

Taken from the rte website here : http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0519/education.html?rss

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Baby-R-22

hey im going into 65h year in sept and thinking about rcsi...just wondering if fees are the same as other universities>>Free? thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Baby-R-22 wrote: »
    hey im going into 65h year in sept and thinking about rcsi...just wondering if fees are the same as other universities>>Free? thanks.

Yes, tey're free.

Advertisement