Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you convert music from CD to MP3?

Options
  • 02-02-2007 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

I just downloaded audacity but to use it I need to convert my music thats on CD to MP3. I use Musicmatch Juke Box and iTunes and just want to know if anyone knows a simple way of converting, cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Any music player rips mp3's. Windows media player can do it though its default format is wma. Just change it to mp3 in the settings. Musicmatch is grand as well unless you have the trial version which rips at a very slow speed. Things like MM and WMP are better because they name the mp3's as you rip them if you're connected to the net at the time. Winamp is another popular one

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

iTunes is pretty good, and it'll add album art as well.
    Just remember to change the default output setting from apple's format to MP3 in the preferences and you'll be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Audacity also works with WAV. If you plan on editing tracks you should rip to WAV (rather than a lossy compressed format like MP3) to preserve the sound quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

I would reccommend CDex. It's open source, free and easy to use.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=CDex&fr=yfp-t-501&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8

You can use this to rip CD tracks to either Mp3 or Wave. My preference is to rip tracks to Wave, then convert them from PCM to ADPCM - that's loseless/minimal loss compression with files that are reasonably small.

WMP only rips to Windows Meta Audio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

As SeanW has already said, CDEx is good.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

another vote for cdex here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

Ive used dbpoweramp with good results.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

WMP only rips to Windows Meta Audio.

Correct up to version 9, although you could get a $10 plugin to rip MP3. Version 10 rips MP3 without any plugin - apparantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I use EAC. It's pretty complicated to set up, but it can be very accurate at extracting CD audio (a process which isn't as error-free as you'd think), and you can use pretty much any encoder that has a commandline interface with it.

There's a guide for setting it up here.

From what I've seen in many tests, LAME can be significantly better at MP3 encoding than what MS and Apple offer (here's one example, though a bit old). EAC and CDex can use LAME.
    iTunes is pretty good, and it'll add album art as well.
    No it won't, it'll only add album covers to iTunes or your iPod - it doesn't actually put the pictures in the MP3s or in a place usable by anything else. They are pretty decent quality scans though... when it gets them right :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 supergrip

cdex for me too.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yup, another vote for CDex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

AdrianR wrote:
    Correct up to version 9, although you could get a $10 plugin to rip MP3. Version 10 rips MP3 without any plugin - apparantly.
    Yup, WMP10 rips to MP3 no bother

Advertisement