Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fiesta Heating always on

Options
  • 02-02-2007 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

My fiesta's ( '99 1.25 zetec ) heating is always on - no matter how i change the temperature dial it wont change. Does anyone know if i can sort this out myself or if i should bring it to a garage? Any idea why its happening?

Thanks,

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

There is a cable that connects the temperature dial to the flap that directs the air over the heater matrix - I reckon it could be broken. Best left to a garage, unless you're pretty handy with car DIY.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

thanks crosstownk

• Registered Users Posts: 22,136 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Try reaching your hand up under the dash - you might be able to locate the cable and free it (if it's just stuck - not broken!). If you can find it, try to spray it with WD40. If it sticks again, don't push the control all the way over in future.

ps I did this on a Volvo 360 - may not be the same on your car!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

esel wrote:
    Try reaching your hand up under the dash - you might be able to locate the cable and free it (if it's just stuck - not broken!). If you can find it, try to spray it with WD40. If it sticks again, don't push the control all the way over in future.

ps I did this on a Volvo 360 - may not be the same on your car!
    True - its also possible that the cable has popped out of its retainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Don't think the fiesta uses a cable - the temperature is controlled by a modulating valve in the water supply to the heater matrix. The valve is electrically operated, and is known to fail after 5/6+ years.

You can change it yourself, but it is an awkward job and necessitates breaking into the engine cooling circuit, so unless you are fairly confident I would get a dealer to look at it.

The valve is located under the base of the windscreen near the wiper linkages, if you follow the hoses from the engine bay area you will find it easily.

• Advertisement
Advertisement