Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does it hurt? *Spoilers may be Included*

Options
  • 01-02-2007 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭

Does it hurt when Claire (the cheerleader) tests her powers? I mean the jump at the abandoned whatever it is must sting a little.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I have wondered about that.

I assume it's at least unpleasent but maybe she's become more acustomed to it over time. And also, whatever pain there is would only last, I assume, until she heals - which doesn't take long at all in most cases.
    I did think it was a bit care-free to drive into a wall at top speed.. regardless of healing ability, that's gotta hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

She always seems to be more 'grossed out' than in any actual pain.

Actually... I wonder if her hymen would also heal over immediately... could make sex very awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Vexorg

So probably not the best "extraordinary ability" for someone with a low pain threshold.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It must burt abit, although its weird she doesn't freak out that much and she just goes ahead and push's bone and skin back to where it should be...so I guess it doesn't hurt that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

I reckon it does, but she's probably somewhat conditioned against it now, doing things like jamming her hand into a garbage disposal, and lifting out burning hot trays of cookies without batting an eyelid, seems to suggest she's ok with the pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Vexorg wrote:
    So probably not the best "extraordinary ability" for someone with a low pain threshold.

Yeah but imagine how great it would be for a masochist though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Oh dear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I wonder if her hymen would also heal over immediately... could make sex very awkward.

what an interesting thought there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

since she does not actually have any great strength its likely she will be captured or "restrained" more than once.

I wonder how she would handle being crushed inside a garbage lorry id say that would be a decent way to kill her im sure decapitation would work well as well then again all you would have to do is find the head and just hold it onto the neck for a couple of seconds for all the bnes and skin and spinal cords to re-attach.

Id bin lorry her if i wanted to kill her. any other suggestions on how to do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

sulphuric acid

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Her cells repair themselves in some fashion. I wonder if mutant cells, such as cancer, would accelerte their "healing" and overtake healthy cells?

Or what if they dropped a nuke on her in the season finale - how cuold she repair anything if she was atomised?

And yes, just decapitate her. She can't just grow a new head surely?

well from what we saw when she snaps a bone she just "lines" it back up and then the bone heals itself so one would assume if she broke her neck or was decapitated then someone could just line her head back up and like i said above allow the reintegration to happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Decapitation would work fine, as long as you drop-kicked the head into the ocean afterward. She seems to be able to heal as long as everything is where it should be, and time doesn.t seem to be an issue
    like the autopsy.
    So you just need to dismember her and insure no one puts humpty togther again. Possibly the Osiris trick.... (Chop up and scatter)

ye i can see it now when they run out of story around season 8 they will do a season story arc, Claire has been captured and cut into pieces and they spend the season trying to find the people that di it and where they have hidden all the pieces of Claire.

hmmm id say a giant blender would sort here out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

I have never broken anything, but I assume that it hurts like hell. Although she seems to enjoy it. defo a masochist

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Well, according to J. Michael Straczynski's, Rising Stars comic, of which Heroes seems at least loosely based, in order to kill the super invulnerable one, general suffocation or asphyxiation would work best ;)

or a high cholesterol diet...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

I wonder if her hymen would also heal over immediately... could make sex very awkward.

I could be wrong here but the hymen doesnt heal natrually so I doubt that would be affected!?!

Ivan wrote:
    Well, according to J. Michael Straczynski's, Rising Stars comic, of which Heroes seems at least loosely based, in order to kill the super invulnerable one, general suffocation or asphyxiation would work best ;)

aswell as that since she lacks super strength all you would have to do is just lock her up or keep her restrained for around a week til she dies of dehydration or starvation, dehydration kills you first i think

surely all of the above kill brain cells, which as already shown, can be rebuilt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I don't think she feels pain at the same levels as a ordinary person but does feel a bit of pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

You can see the look on her face in episode one when
    she pushes her ribs back into her chest cavity
    and when
    her hand is in the disposal unit
    which indicates she's at least feeling discomfort which I associated with a sense of pain. As to the question of her hymen, not all girls have hymens and in a lot of cases they're rather small so even if it did repair itself each time unless she had a thick and large hymen it wouldn't make much of a difference. Then again the whole thing lies on the level of someones pain threshold.

As for killing her,
    episode six shows a painting which Peter finished of Claire lying on the ground with her head sawed open and her brain missing and this is what Hiro has told him he has to save Claire from. From this one has to assume that she requires her brain in order to repair herself. If she didn't require her brain then she quite probably would have repaired herself by her body regenerating and "pushing out" the tree branch after Brody "killed" her and subsequently that if you sawed her head open and removed her brain she'd simply regen a new brain and scull.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

hmm.. I guess it must hurt, but how much is the question. I mean she didn't even notice her ribs sticking out until they where pointed out to her, and she only realised what had happened her hand when she pulled it out, it seemed like she felt discomfort putting it in the garbage disposal but nothing other than a mild pressure on her skin.

Also i'm with daiixi, I think her brain is the most important part and is needed for the regeneration, which then begs the question, if she was decapitated would she not regenerate a new body? I mean how much can she regenerate, an arm? a leg? a torso?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

(spoiler for those not watching U.S.)
    Her father has been discovered this week after the meeting with mother. The regeneration gene has been somehow inherited from her parents genes but neither parent regenerates.

well ye i mean one brother can fly the other can absorb other powers so its clear they are trying to show us that family genetics have no bearing on what power the offspring will have.

Another example is Walk though walls/ Jessica, how can they have a computer child?

i know im being simple in my analogys but im just saying having mutated parents must cause those same mutant genes in the fetus to mutate into something else granting a different power.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

here is one, she went through the burning train and was visibility on fire surely some of her hair was burnt in that ? and im going to assume that cant regenerate or else she should have very long hair :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,896 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I don't think it hurts because
    In one of the episodes where she wakes up on an autopsy table, she doesn't realise she's been cut open until she actually bothers to look. You'd think if she had anyway normal pain sensation, she would have noticed sooner. Also, she didn't notice when she had ribs sticking out after her death attempts.

Having no pain at all would actually make the power more disturbing for her imo. I think you'd take being able to heal quickly in your stride, but feeling completely numb of pain has got to be unnerving. She could be sitting in a cinema, and someone could be cutting off her fingers to get her rings and she'd never even notice*.

* Okay, so maybe she doesn't visit UCI Coolock that often.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,754 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

User45701 wrote:
    since she does not actually have any great strength its likely she will be captured or "restrained" more than once.

I wonder how she would handle being crushed inside a garbage lorry id say that would be a decent way to kill her im sure decapitation would work well as well then again all you would have to do is find the head and just hold it onto the neck for a couple of seconds for all the bnes and skin and spinal cords to re-attach.

Id bin lorry her if i wanted to kill her. any other suggestions on how to do this?

Considering she was
    Autopsied
    I figure she could put up with getting crushed. As soon as there was enough room to regenerate her ability would kick in.

I also figure she is able to feel. The human brain does this kind of thing naturally: you can instinctively block out degrees of pain; and your brain is smart enough to distinguish paint from normal sensation. Im sure its at a very advanced state in Claire.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Overheal wrote:
    I also figure she is able to feel. The human brain does this kind of thing naturally: you can instinctively block out degrees of pain; and your brain is smart enough to distinguish paint from normal sensation. Im sure its at a very advanced state in Claire.

"pain" as we know it is purely a reflex action taken by the brain to warn us of danger. The human sense of touch is actually the most basic sense we have yet many people would rather lose something like their hearing or taste before they'd lose their sense of touch. I mean all it is, is our skins ability to detect temperature and pressure, thats it. The rest comes down to our brains ability to remember different temps and pressures assumed of different instances and objects (i.e. a good example is putting your hand in a latex glove then putting it in water, your skin still has the ability to feel pressure and temperature and therefore it fools your brain into thinking your hand is wet, only your knowledge that your hand is in a glove changes this perception)

With Claire, I guess she does feel pain, but not in the same way we do, her brain is probably rewired to recognise it but not to produce the same warning sensation, like throbbing or stinging, that we feel. Who knows what she feels, it could be likened to pains we feel everyday that we simply ignore, like a sore back or tight neck. She can choose to acknowledge it or ignore it.

Another question I asked which nobody seems to be talking about is how much of her body she can regenerate? In one of the last episodes she said she could regenerate a liver, well how many organs could she regenerate? If she lost a finger would it grow back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Actually... I wonder if her hymen would also heal over immediately... could make sex very awkward.
    "awkward"?? Given her healing rates, it would be more like a guillotine.

Advertisement