Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First aid for uncool fridges

Options
  • 01-02-2007 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

If the 3-way fridge in your camper refuses to work (at all) it's usually down to prolonged non-usage and settling of the coolant. Before you call in an expert, there are two things you could try:

1) put your camper on absolutely level ground (no lean in any direction) and let the fridge run either on gas or, if you can, on 230 volts on the highest setting. Leave it alone for a good few hours (i.e don't open the door every five minutes) and check. If that didn't achieve anything, try

2) set it on 12V, highest setting and take it for a drive. You want to give it a good shake, so select a really bad road. You'd need to be underway for a few hours to feel any effects (it is very slow to cool down on 12v), so make a Sunday outing out of it.

These methods have worked for me so far and in my 17 year camping "career" I've never had to get a fridge repaired.

It is also recommended to turn on your fridge about once a month or so, even when you're not using it.
    For best cooling results on holidays, cool it down while still empty on 230v, then fill it with cool stuff rom your fridge at home and when you're underway just keep the cold "topped up" on 12v or gas. Limit open door times to a minimum and don't open and close it every 5 minutes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

There is another method whereby you remove your fridge, and turn it upside down (and do some other stuff).

I investigated this when I was having fridge problems a while back (which turned out to be user error and split charge malfunction, and not fridge related at all - couldn't light it on gas, and wouldn't work on 12v - but did work perfectly on 240v, since sorted and working perfectly on all 3).
    So alas, I didn't do this method. But if anyone wants me to look out the various webpages I found detailing how to do this method, and why to do this method, just give me a shout. One I seem to recall, was very detailed and included instructions on giving the fridge a full service while it was out of the camper/caravan.

Advertisement