Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Album of the Week #27: "Tago Mago" by Can

Options
  • 01-02-2007 3:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭

One of the best albums ever. Not many albums can be summed up by just one word but this is transcendental. Honestly, hearing this the first time was almost life changing. Amazing, amazing collection of songs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Sounds great! Love seeing albums here that I haven't heard before! I shall buy this over the weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

finally this is here.. what an amazing album, I'll never forget the first time I heard it. The first four songs all in a row, I don't think I have ever known any other album with four songs of that quality right in a row. Halleluhwah is unreal, I think Paperhouse is my favourite, it just explodes into action. And Oh Yeah is creepily hypnotic; i love the atmospheric sounds at the start of it

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Lunar Junkie

Yeah, it's great... I was amazed when I read how they wrote\recorded these songs (i.e. recording hours of live improvisation straight onto two-track tape, then editing the best sections into the finished songs). You have to admit though, "Aumgn" and (to a lesser extent) Peking Oh are pretty hard work.. I think this band also contains my favourite rock drummer - the loose-limbed jazz inflections combined with the relentless Krautrock stamina is hard to beat!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

It takes a couple of listens to get into those two all right but I still think they're fantastic. I've spent many happy hours practising guitar to this album, such a great album to jam to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

My favourite Can LP.

Every time I listen to it, I hear something new.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭pig on the wing

how many people voted for this?

The album of the week isn't chosen on votes so I haven't a clue. It's albums worthy of discussion that are chosen.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Goddamnit I love Can :D . Tago Mago is a superb album. It really is one of my favourites of all time.

I strongly recommend the two disc (25 year?) Anthology if you can get your hands on it. It's class.

That drumming is just unreal too. An all-round brilliant band. I can't sing their praises enough, I love them <3:D

I'm listening to this now (currently on "Oh Yeah") and I have to say I love the way the album flows. Each track merges into the next one beautifully which is some achievement considering (as Lunar Junkie pointed out above) that the album was essentially hours and hours of jamming recorded onto two tracks. The momentum keeps pulling you along and along until they finally throw that curveball, "Aumgn". I have to say though, I can't always listen to the second half of the album, it is intense and I need to be ready for it.

Anyway, I just found this on YouTube, it's ****ing brilliant! Paperhouse live on German TV

isn't Damo's crazy dance deadly!

• Advertisement

Damo is deadly full stop!

anyone get the Can DVD?

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    anyone get the Can DVD?

**** it, where would you get that? the spoon records site?

By the way, has anyone ever heard some of Holger Czukay's stuff? Some of it is really good, he does minimal stuff with samples and radio snippets..

Try his album from 1969 with Rolf Dammers, Canaxis.

The first song on it is like classical orchestration and guitar and it features some weird chanting from Vietnamese boat women recorded during the war, it's definitely the creepiest thing I've ever heard, I wouldn't recommend listening to it with the lights off. Excellent though. And his song, Persian Love, it's awesome

Kemos wrote:
    **** it, where would you get that? the spoon records site?

amazon have it £13.99
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Can/dp/B000BSQR2G/sr=1-1/qid=1171154215/ref=pd_bowtega_1/026-0759811-7418044?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

it was dead cheap on CD Wow for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Erm, any chance of a new album of the week? Or are we leaving it to a monthly basis now?

wish it could stay Tago Mago week forever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

It would be cool to see a new one. I just got into this album of the week deal. A great idea, but now that I've gotten into that album I'm itching for me ideas from you guys!

Sorry, I've been busy. Put some suggestions up in the suggestions thread and I'll change it tomorrow night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

SWEEEEEET !!!

I bought this based on the glowing reviews above and have not been disappointed ! While I haven't yet been able to get into the second half of the album, the first four songs alone are enough to buy this album for. I love the energy, and it has that laid-back jam feel to it.

What would be your recommendation for a next CAN album for a new fan ?

Any of the first four are brilliant so:
    Monster Movie
    Soundtracks
    Ege Bamyasi

These don't go in for as much weirdness as Tago Mago, more straightforward rocking like the first few tracks on TM. My two favourite Can songs are on Soundtracks: "Soul Desert" and "Mother Sky". "Mother Sky" is about 15 minutes of krautrock heaven, just tight grooves and rhythms as the guitar and vocals dance around the speakers. Beautiful stuff!

• Advertisement
Advertisement