Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audacity help

Options
  • 31-01-2007 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hey

I'm trying to put together a radio documentary using Audacity as my (free) software. My recordings are mono - can i change this to stereo and if so, how??? Do I need to reload everything again or am i stuck with mono? My music bits will all be stereo so i'm a bitscrewed when i put it all together. anyone familiar with audacity???? Please help.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

edit >> preferences >> audio I/O tab >> channels 2 (stereo)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

I haven't used Audacity but if you have your output in stereo and keeping your mono file panned in the middle you shouldn't have any difficulties as it will occuppy an equal level of output in the L & R channels. You shouldn't be screwed in the slightest.

For the record, while I completely understand what your saying you can't actually change a mono signal to a stereo. It's maybe pedantic but in broadcast and pro-audio it can be a pretty important distinction.

There a few people who hang out in the forum in my sig that know Audacity. If you're still stuck try post there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 sosgal

Hey

Yeah, not pedantic, and I get that there's a distinction. I got most of my audio in mexico and only realised on return that it was my recorder was recording only mono. i'm a novice in this game and want to do the job right if i can now redeem myself....

i generally work on cool edit but can't afford it at home, hence the audacity....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

As frobisher said, you cant make it stereo, but you can copy the one channel to the other.

Or you could just enter the track twice, pan one to the left and one to the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

What you want is "Dual Mono" copying the track onto a second track will solve it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

:confused::confused:Hello,
    I've been trying to get Audacity to record from the laptop using a cable output to input but nothing. Downloaded Sound Recorder and that worked but I want to use Audacity.

I've read and watched tutorials but I'm stumped.:confused::confused::confused:

Sound Recorder http://www.soundrecorder.net/index.htm records but Audacity not.

Please help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Greenman wrote: »
    :confused::confused:Hello,
    I've been trying to get Audacity to record from the laptop using a cable output to input but nothing. Downloaded Sound Recorder and that worked but I want to use Audacity.

I've read and watched tutorials but I'm stumped.:confused::confused::confused:

Sound Recorder http://www.soundrecorder.net/index.htm records but Audacity not.

Please help.

Bump anybody please.

Advertisement