Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which oil - 320d?

Options
  • 31-01-2007 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭

2002 BMW 320d

What oil should I use? Semi or Full synthetic? And wht grade? The manual is saying either 0w or 5w, and lots of different visciousities (sp?)

What do *you* use for our Irish climate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Castrol SLX should do the job. Its fully synthetic, longlife service oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

crosstownk wrote:
    Castrol SLX should do the job. Its fully synthetic, longlife service oil.

What grade is it?

Sorry, it's 5W/30.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Excellent, just what I wanted :)

Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I put 10W/40 in mine.

Should I go to a garage and get the oil completely changed? Is it safe to continue using 10W/40 if it needs more oil?

• Advertisement

If you remember what brand of oil you bought then check on the manufacturers web page for it's specification. Compare that to your car's owners manual and see what the difference is.

Generally a 10W/40 engine oil is semi-synthetic and is probably fine for your engine. However, it will not be able for the long life service interval and should be changed after 10,000 miles (16,000kms). It's fine to use it until the next oil change. Topping up with fully synthetic is a waste of money at this point. Keep using the 10W/40 til the next service and if at that point you wish to revert to longlife service intervals then switch back to the fully synthetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

crosstownk wrote:
    Generally a 10W/40 engine oil is semi-synthetic and is probably fine for your engine. However, it will not be able for the long life service interval and should be changed after 10,000 miles (16,000kms).
    Phew! Thanks for that. It's the Statoil branded 10W/40 that I used. The oil light came oil today so I topped up with the last .5 litre I had left.

I dipped after filling and I'm still low. I'll put some more of the same in until the next scheduled service in 3K miles time.

Thanks.

Advertisement