Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner - What to buy?

Options
  • 31-01-2007 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭

Hey i'm looking into getting a board and have been told to get an 8ft one... but that weight and height plays a role too... so i'm 6'1" and about 12 stone...

I'm in the Cork area and am willing to spend a bit of money...
    Ive checked tubes out and it doesnt look like they have a great selection of longboards... would Incide be any good... any help appreciated..

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 JimmyD

I'm the same weight and height as you and started on a 7ft3 BIC mini mal which is a perfect beginner board, plus it has a good resale value if you decide to step down to a shorter board,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Usually a board from about 7'6 to 8'0 is perfect for a beginner. Bics are pretty good beginners board and last forever. The thing to remember about your first board is you should progress past it within a year so don't spend too much on it. Get a second hand Bic 7'9 if you can.
    It's just a board for learning really, once you can surf you'll either want to get something shorter or longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Flynn

ok thanks i'll look into that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

i would strongly advise you to not buy a PVC board, a much better and alternative board to a Bic/PVC board would be an Epoxy constructed board, there lighter, better designed and depending on the brand some are hand shaped. Baords id reccommend would be NSP, SOuthpoint, Circle One and if you are dead set on a PVC board you can get a HiFly board (look up the web) for a fraction of the price of a Bic and there practically the same thing.

Also its not normal to suggest to a beginner to buy a fibreglass surfboard as there easier to damage but really if you want a proper board go fibreglass and just mind it, buy something in the 8ft + range, something thats a little wider and thicker than normal, an ideal board to buy would be a fat boy flyer.

There is also a huge surplus of second hand surfboards particularly beginner boards available in Ireland due to people buying Bics and PVC boards and upgrading to Epoxy and Fibreglass boards, it is well worth your time to check buy and sell ads, in surf shops near the beach and the web, i have a few old boards sitting in my backgarden and you will find alot of surfers have more than one board and are just to lazy to part with there old ones but if you ask your friends they will help you.

8ft is too long!! If you get lessons (which you should) you'll probably learn on an 8ft sponge, go for a board that is just over a foot longer than your height, master that and then move down. I know people started out on 8ft+ boards and it was no time before they outgrew them and ended up frustrated with the boards because they couldn't turn properly and basically inhibited their surfing, all have gone down to shorter boards (within a short space of time) and are doing much better.

• Advertisement

Yes Jimmy but you are missing the fact that this guy is 6"1 himself and could probably have no problem surfing a 7"6 or smaller board however if he does get a smaller board and struggles on it he will give up and it will have been a waste of money.

An 8ft board will teach him to turn properly, i have a 9"1 longboard and i can turn properly and im not frustrated.

What may make you frustrated Flynn is if you get a board that is to small for you and you cant surf it, i stand by my suggestion of an 8ft board or even bigger if buying fibreglass.

I'm just going by personal experience Neon, I suppose everyone just has to find whataver suits them or helps them surf better, I'm 6ft 2", started off on a 7ft 3" am now surfing a 6ft 9", some people like longboards I guess I just like shortboards!!! But I hear what you say regarding Flynn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Mhmm...weetabix

Hey guys, Im in the same position as Flynn in that I'm a beginner and looking to get a decent second hand board. Any suggestions on where I should be looking to buy?

Just read neon lights post again and realised how hungover I am, he answered my question before posted. Anywho, if theres any other places please help out....

Ah this is too hard!

Honestly i want a fibreglass (not that i know much about the PVC ones) but i dont think i will damage it...

Jimmy i hear what your sayin about getting frustrated with a longer board fast but then neon has some good points too.. but as a complete novice i don't know who is right..

I'm based in Cork so i spose Tubes or Incide would be my only place to get board.. unless i go for second hand.. doesnt seem to be much in the buy n sell tho...

Most shops will post to you Flynn, whats your budget?

*** Same Qs to Mhmm...weetabix

What is your level of surfing right now? How fast can you pop up? are you turning easily (both directions) and can you handle 3 foot conditions happily? And what is the size of the board you are currently learning on? How many days a week do you currently surf and realistically hope to surf?

If the answers are Yes to all these Q's and 8ft is the size board your learning on then the smallest board you defo wont have problems with would be a 7"6. 7"3 is a grey area because of your hieght and wieght.

If however you are still slow to pop up, turning is something you can do but havent mastered and you learned on anything bigger than an 8ft foamy board and you will buy a fibreglass board them 8ft+ is the way to go.

Tubes has a huge selection of boards though, and the staff are extremely knowledgable when it comes to surfing, Ask for victor there and he really know's his stuff and after a fews minutes of meeting him he will sort you out, obviously im involved with tramore surf shop (as you can see in the linky below) so i can help you there if you wanted a board from that shop, re second hand boards we have them in and out every week, but right now nothing to suit you.

• Advertisement

neon_glows wrote:
    Most shops will post to you Flynn, whats your budget?

*** Same Qs to Mhmm...weetabix

What is your level of surfing right now? How fast can you pop up? are you turning easily (both directions) and can you handle 3 foot conditions happily? And what is the size of the board you are currently learning on? How many days a week do you currently surf and realistically hope to surf?

If the answers are Yes to all these Q's and 8ft is the size board your learning on then the smallest board you defo wont have problems with would be a 7"6. 7"3 is a grey area because of your hieght and wieght.

If however you are still slow to pop up, turning is something you can do but havent mastered and you learned on anything bigger than an 8ft foamy board and you will buy a fibreglass board them 8ft+ is the way to go.

Tubes has a huge selection of boards though, and the staff are extremely knowledgable when it comes to surfing, Ask for victor there and he really know's his stuff and after a fews minutes of meeting him he will sort you out, obviously im involved with tramore surf shop (as you can see in the linky below) so i can help you there if you wanted a board from that shop, re second hand boards we have them in and out every week, but right now nothing to suit you.

My budget isnt too tight. So if i can re-sell i dont mind spending.. i dunno, 500?
    But i was just in tubes and they have more short-boards than long.. The 8ft ones look to be around 500-600 anyway.. Ya maybe i should go in and just ask.. But do keep me posted if anything comes along down Tramore.. Wouldn't mind taking a spin down that direction..

well lad theres a fibreglass board in the shop 8ft if your interested, €499 and ill get you €20 off.

neon_glows wrote:
    well lad theres a fibreglass board in the shop 8ft if your interested, €499 and ill get you €20 off.

Is it new or second-hand?

new!!

ill pm you my number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

I have a second hand 7'6 minimal I am trying to get rid of.
    I think it is the definitive adult beginner board (but thats just my opinion).
    PM me if interested.

Advertisement