Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Indicator light on solid

Options
  • 31-01-2007 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi Guys. This is my first time on this forum, so be gentle! I bought a 01 VW Polo in December, and all has been going fine until this morning. When i went to use my indicator, it didn't flash on/off as usual, but rather stayed lit solid. I reckon this can't be the safest thing ever, as it might look like i just have my lights on, and one's not working. Would anyone have any idea what could cause this. I don't really want to bring it to a garage, because my tax is due this month, and i still owe a fortune on my credit card since xmas! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I reckon your indicator relay is kaput. On some VWs this is part of the hazard warning switch, but on a Polo it could be behind the dash, on the right hand side, below the steering wheel and just above your right knee - if you know what I mean. It just plugs out and you plug another one in.

What happens if you turn on the hazard switch? And where is the hazard switch located?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭bking

The hazards stay on solid too. The hazard switch is on the centre of the dash, above the radio.

Then it's most likely that the indicator relay is built into the hazard switch. These are known to give trouble on most VWs. I reckon you'll need a new one. I'm not exactly sure how this is removed - maybe someone else can help. But I do know that if you get it out and unplug the connector be sure not to let the connector fall back into the dash as you'll have some job trying to fish it back out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

yes this also happen to my polo and then they start flashing and then stopping.its so annoying

drdre wrote:
    yes this also happen to my polo and then they start flashing and then stopping.its so annoying

Has this been happening for a while? I've only just passed the NCT. My front headlight was broken, and i ended up having to get the whole unit replaced at a cost of €240. Does anyone know how much a relay unit would be for a Polo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

This happened to me on my Astra,

On the fuse box inside the car, there is what i call two ticker yellow boxes, one for the right indicator and one for the left indicator.

My Left indicator was stuck on all the time, it turned out the the left indicator ticker box was just a bit loose, when i pushed it back in the indicators worked perfectly then.

I hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

bking wrote:
    and one's not working.

This is the problem, its feckin up the circuit of the flasher, fix the bulb here and all will be fixed.

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    This is the problem, its feckin up the circuit of the flasher, fix the bulb here and all will be fixed.

I think the OP means that when he switches his indicator (left or right) on, the fact that it is not flashing would give the appeareance to other drivers that he has side lights on with one not working. The OP seems to indicate (sorry!) that the fault is happening with both left and right indicators, so a blown bulb is unlikely to be the culprit - but worth checking just to rule it out.

crosstownk wrote:
    I think the OP means that when he switches his indicator (left or right) on, the fact that it is not flashing would give the appeareance to other drivers that he has side lights on with one not working. The OP seems to indicate (sorry!) that the fault is happening with both left and right indicators, so a blown bulb is unlikely to be the culprit - but worth checking just to rule it out.

Yep. This is what I meant. The two indicator lights are working, but just staying on solid. Hopefully it's not a major problem.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Tipsy Mac wrote:

What he said. My Chevy has a nasty habit of blowing the front indicator bulbs. If I indicate and the light stays on instead of blinking, the first thing I check is that the bulbs are on. Hasn't failed yet.

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

drdre wrote:

You have a problem where your indicators flash on and off?

Advertisement