Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New RTE website

Options
  • 31-01-2007 1:45am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭

:)www.rte.ie

Better I have to say. What do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

It looks alright. I didn't mind the old one though, don't really like the photostream thingy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Yeah its a bit ott but still there is a little more 'sophistication' to the site which cannot be said for alot of other things RTE do!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Ruu wrote:
    don't really like the photostream thingy.
    Agreed... similar thing is on TV.com. Though the RTE one is not nearly as buggy as the one on TV.com

The business section deserves a rare applause. Shows you statistics on growth, employment etc:)

Also improved weather section although admittedly using met.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Whatever you do don't forget to put in the 'www'

http://rte.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

not bad, easy to navigate round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i like it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

pity the still don't use spell-check. I'd say a good 50% of articles I read on rte.ie have at least one spelling mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Looks better than the old site. Still poor when compared to BBC site. Tacky ads popping up in news stories means I won't be using it. If RTE removed the ads then that would be a major improvement. I mean Travel and Property on the website of the national broadcaster is hardly anything to get excited about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I like the way all of the news programs are available. Don't like how you can not sort the news by home and abroad anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Just visited the 2fm website, the layout is better but whats with Charlie Bird flogging his book and an ad for Joe Duffy podcast across the top. This type of nonsense really detracts from the look and feel of the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Wheels

I really like the new look, but the ads are disgusting. Why do they need to have five of them on the main page? And all spread out into different panels?

The Shop pages hasn't been updated but I'm sure that will be done in time. I do think the main page is a bit busy. Also the IPU site is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

looks like the new irish times site? same people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

2 ads on the sports page are covering up the navigation menus on the left hand side of the screen. Not very well designed :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

I like it, it's better than the old one IMO.

And rte.ie without the 'www' works fine for me.

to the people moaning about the ads. what do you think pays for the website?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Mossy Monk wrote:
    to the people moaning about the ads. what do you think pays for the website?

I'd have assumed the Radio/TV License fee .. which I believe applies to net access as well as you have the ability to download radio / tv .. on there ?

forbairt wrote:
    which I believe applies to net access as well as you have the ability to download radio / tv .. on there ?

what? that is lies

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Jello wrote:
    I like it, it's better than the old one IMO.

And rte.ie without the 'www' works fine for me.

See attached.

They must have finally gotten around to fixing it. Very bad mistake though as most people don't bother with putting in 'www' these days when typing in an address.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭superdudeman007

It's an improvement but it's still not a patch on any other broadcaster, especially the 2fm website when compared to BBC R1 (but there's about a million other threads about that...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

the ads just shoved to the right arent a good idea though. they could had put it in another bar on the bottom instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

How does this stack up on 56k?

Mike.

It's an improvement but it's still not a patch on any other broadcaster

are you serious?
    have a look at other broadcasters based in Ireland and the UK and then say that all of them are better than RTÉ's website

http://www.tv3.ie/index.php
    http://www.tg4.ie/Bearla/index.htm
    http://www.itv.com/
    http://www.channel4.com/
    http://www.five.tv/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I like the new site :)

However, the podcasts could do with a bit more description as to content. Scroll to the bottom of this page and you'll see that there is no description of content for past shows...who was interviewed, what was reviewed etc.

Small gripe I know but a gripe nonetheless :)

EDIT: I notice that the 2007 shows do have a description of content...well done RTÉ, kudos :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Wheels

There are also annoying flash box ads that pop up in the middle of articles and obstruct the view. I'm not saying don't have ads, but they are really badly placed and totally detract from the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

See attached.

They must have finally gotten around to fixing it. Very bad mistake though as most people don't bother with putting in 'www' these days when typing in an address.

Haha, didn't notice that before they fixed it.

cdwow.ie is another one that doesn't work without the 'www's... it just links to the main site.

Bad mistake as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Firefox, people. Firefox(with adblock, of course). You won't get any ads with it. On any site. IE is a joke of a browser. Although, if your browsing at work and are forced to use it, I feel your pain.

I like the new website, though.

forbairt wrote:
    I'd have assumed the Radio/TV License fee

http://www.rte.ie/about/licence.html
    look at the bottom of the page. no ads means no rte.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Deflector

The redesign is wonderful!

I'm delighted RTÉ have such a clean fresh look - the former corporate green and blue was rather early 90s, with a hint of frumpy building society to it. The new graphics are wonderfully crisp and elegant, and exercise an easily navigated and aesthetically pleasing continuity throughout the site, while the colour coding distinctive and instantly understood.

The green of Radio is absolutely ravishing, whilst the blue of Television elegant and cool. Unlike on television, the brown of News works exceedingly well, and ties the entire RTÉ News brand together across all media.

Aertel is an enormous improvement, as are various radio and television programmes' home pages, all of which are formatted in the same style as the main site - no more haphazard web pages of old.

Some small glitches have also been cleaned up, like programme titles: The Late Late Show used to be in the alphabetical drop-down menu under L rather than T, but has now been changed.

A few irritating features include the advertising strap underneath the Highlights screen on the main page. Not only is it confusing to have so many images clustered together, and undesirable in consuming so much space on the main page, it's frankly disgusting to have so much advertising plastered in your face so blatantly from a PSB. I fully support RTÉ's advertising remit, but the sheer volume of advertising on the principal face of Ireland's public service broadcaster on the internet is simply unacceptable.

Secondly, if you're on a slow connection, even a dodgy broadband rate, the Highlights window remains black for long periods during the dissolves and looks terrible. Not sure how that can be addressed.

And thirdly, to have Property so dominant on the title bar, above Children's Television, Performing Groups and even Aertel is nothing short of a farce from a public service provider. Welcome to Ireland Inc…

As things stand, RTE is not permitted to apply any licence fee funds to internet enterprises, hence RTÉ.ie is currently a division of RTÉ Publishing, however they are looking to change this - possibly in the upcoming Broadcasting Bill if I recall correctly.

All in all a fantastic improvement to the website - other than the few features mentioned I'd certainly rank their main page above the BBC's bland, wishy washy affair. All we need now is more substantial content (including decent introductions to staple programmes’ home pages like Questions & Answers and The Week in Politics), and improved download quality on programmes across the board.

Advertisement