Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IDE and SATA in one system?

Options
  • 30-01-2007 9:54pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Rite all, sorry if this has been asked already, but I would appreciate some small advice here :)

I built a New Rig last July and I purchased 2x300gig sammy hard drives both which use IDE, and both are running very well, I am cosidering purchasing a new 500gig hard drive, which will be SATAII. Now my question is, could I use the SATA 500gig hard drive as a file storage one for games etc... And have no issiues with my IDE Master loading windows xp (soon vista :) ) and the secondary slave IDE still detect, like plug n play craic :) I have all the connectors on the PSU & Mobo afaik, just want to be able to install new hard disk, POST detect it>Format using disk management tools, is this possible guys?

Thanks guys

Nick

--

PC Specs:
    Intel Pentium D 805 2.66
    2gig DDRII Crucial RAM
    2x300gig Sammy IDEs
    XFX Geforce 7600GT OC'ed edition
    Tagan 420Watt PSU This PSU
    THIS MOBO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I'd be interested in knowing if there are any issues iwith this too as I'm about to stick a Sata drive in with an IDE this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Yes it is possible to mix PATA IDE & SATA hard drives no trouble at all.

The 500GB SATA drive will probably be a bit faster than the PATA Sammy's so if you are going to be loading Vista on to it you should install to the new drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

on a similar note...

My main HDD is SATA with XP. I connected a 2nd drive (IDE) to the IDE1 connector. This 2nd drive has win2k on it. I just wanted to install it and use for storage etc. But when I boot, the system keeps loading W2k first from the IDE drive. I tried moving it to IDE2 connector, but same thing.

This was a while ago. Haven't revisited yet. This thread just reminded me.

I presume, it something to configure in the BIOS setup, but I remember tweaking away at this before and couldn't find a solution.

Must try again - need more storage!!!!

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Yeah, you have to set the bios to boot from the sata hdd first, and not the ide one. It will be under a tab such as " boot priority " in the bios.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Cheerz all,

Am actually using the SATA for storage (I.E: Keep the master IDE for windows), Will purchase the SATAII 500gig and see how I get on,
    Cheerz for the advice,

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 marek_o

On some boards this setting will be located under HDD boot priority inside boot options, as standard IDE are booting first.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭SeanW

I'm using a mix of SATA and IDE drives and I too have an nForce 4 board.

It works perfectly. You just have to make sure you've got the boot order set up properly - with nForce 4 you can boot off a SATA drive but the 4 SATA controllers are listed as IDE Third, Fourth, Fifth and Sixth Masters.

If this isn't right and a HD on a 1st or 2nd Master (PATA) has a bootable OS on it, that will load instead of the SATA drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭Tazz T

SeanW wrote:
    I

If this isn't right and a HD on a 1st or 2nd Master (PATA) has a bootable OS on it, that will load instead of the SATA drive.

Hmm! That's my situation. Thanks for pointing that out.

Cheerz for the info lads, ordered Vista along with Sammy 500gig SATA last nite, will try installng vista on the sata making sata 1st boot device in bios :) Just a quick question, will I be able to access my windows xp install including my documents from within vista doing this trick which are located on the master IDE drive? Or will I have to set permissions before hand?

Cheerz

Nick

yoyo wrote:
    Cheerz for the info lads, ordered Vista along with Sammy 500gig SATA last nite, will try installng vista on the sata making sata 1st boot device in bios :) Just a quick question, will I be able to access my windows xp install including my documents from within vista doing this trick which are located on the master IDE drive? Or will I have to set permissions before hand?

Cheerz

Nick

If you install Vista on the separate HD you will still be able to dual boot into XP. It really does not matter which drive it goes on as long as that drive is set as the boot HD in the bios.

You will still be able to read the contents of the drive XP resides on, security permissions I'm not sure on it may respect them it may not, it may ask for the user/pass hav not tried out this area myself yet.

• Advertisement

Hi all,

I installed Vista successfully on my new SATA hard drive, however I cannot access my origional Master IDE drive (With Windows XP on it), I can access the IDE slave drive still, but vistas loading hangs when i set the Windows XP IDE drive to "Slave", having both the Master and Slave IDEs in at the same time causes the BIOS to totally freeze, I cannot change any options or boot orders etc.., I have a bit of data on my Master IDE :confused: Please if anyones got any idea tell us,

Thanks,

Nick

Set all the IDE drives HDD & DVD to cable select mode that will auto resolve any conflicts in that department.

Anyway once all the IDE devices are running in cable select mode boot as normal into Vista and install either EasyBCD or Vista Boot Pro so you can add XP as a choice at startup. Those programs manage the Vista bootloader so you can add XP to the entry and select it at startup only install one or the other not both.

You can also forgoing the above boot to XP if you set the HD XP as the primary boot device or if your motherboard has a quick boot menu feature that you can press at startup and load from a specific device.

Cheers for the help, but I still can't let Vista boot along with one of my IDE Drives (The one which had Windows XP installed onto): Heres the problem:
    Vista is working well, and recognises fine my origional IDE Slave drive which I use for data storage, Vista is booting fine itself from my new SATA Hard Disk.
    My secondary IDE hard drive which had Windows XP on it prior to upgrading fine (And had a DEMO of Windows Vista I tried out a while ago which was replaced again by XP) will not allow me to enter Vista. BIOs will detect the hard disk at POST, Boot sequence in bios set for SATA with vista on first, the operating system wont load with this IDE either slaved, mastered or cable select, the other hard drive which all its life was a "Slave" drive is recognised in vista no problem.
    So heres a overview of the issiue:
    SATA Hard Drive: Vista boots off fine, no abnormalities
    IDE which was master: Will cause vistas boot up to infinitely show progress bar, nothing happens
    IDE Origional Slave: Detects and works as expected.

I have formatted the Master PATA both in Windows XP (Quick) on a older PC so as removing the OS, I then did a format C: (Full) on it from within the windows recovery console, still a no go. And HDD has no errors
    I'm guessing the problem is Vista is picking up the old MBR (Master Boot Record) which I am aware isn't formatted juring any OS format, I have spent ages messing around with this to no avail, anyone got any ideas, suggestions or solutions, also if it is the MBR, anybody reccomend how to format it?

Cheers again for the Help,

Nick

Disconnect the Vista HD and connect the XP HD.

Boot into XP CD and run recovery console to logon to command prompt

type in and press enter
    fixboot followed by... fixmbr then... exit to reboot the system.

Now reconnect the Vista HD and set it to boot and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

I'm trying to copy data from SATA to IDE and my computer can't see the SATA.
    It was originally in it's own pc, but needs to be backed up onto another, so connected up with an IDE to copy to, but the computer can't see the SATA, so tried taking out the IDE and booting off the SATA, not detected.. I've tried installing raid drivers, but they're not working. Any suggestions? In a bit of a rush with this.

Cheers!

Advertisement