Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ's 'Trouble in Paradise'

Options
  • 29-01-2007 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,797 ✭✭✭✭

Sweet Christ... this is absolutely atrocious! :eek:

Acting is diabolical, the writing is dire - definitely a new low in Irish television.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

I agree...and there are 6 episodes :confused:
    Why????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭patrickc

Does anyone know where this is filmed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Part of it (or maybe all I don't know) was filmed in my beloved hometown, Oldcastle (middle of nowhere) in Meath. Don't blame me, I don't live there anymore! :(

basquille, if you give me some names if mentioned in credits perhaps, I can probably tell you more. On the phone to teh mammeh to find out what the story is. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭patrickc

the accents are woeful, hard to tell where there supposed to be from.. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

Only stuck with it for about 5 mins and then switched back to the "Smallest people in the world" on C4 - far more engaging.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

Who plays Jolene??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

The ads for this did not look at all promising. Didn't bother watching it apart from turning over for a few minutes. Didn't seem great.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Ruu wrote:
    Part of it (or maybe all I don't know) was filmed in my beloved hometown, Oldcastle (middle of nowhere) in Meath. Don't blame me, I don't live there anymore! :(
    Ha.. yes. I thought I recognised the massive XXX Cider signs. I don't recall there being a lapdancing club there though... that must have been added for theatrical flair.

It's an absolutely terrible show though.... I could only make it about a half hour into it.... All the actors look like they are in their 30's regardless of what age their character is supposed to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

the accents are woeful, hard to tell where there supposed to be from.. Cheers

The actress who plays Jolene and fictional fiance were on Seoige & O'Shea. The said they had a voice coach to help them have neutral bland accents.

There may be a follow on series

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I have to admit, I thought this looked remotlly promising from the trailers.
    I was thinking, "Pure Mule" with less characters and more sex. Instead I got pure muck, with added cheese.

Very dissappointing.

The whole "lets take the piss out of hippys" thing is a bit, 10-years-ago IMO.

Why do so many Irish productions make such a balls of comic relief?
    This one being a prime example, where the "zany" characters are completely over the top, and the viewers suspension disbelief goes flying out the window.

Regarding the acting. I sometimes think actors can be given a hard time when in fact they are provided with really bad lines which they have no choice but to work with.

Note to the writer/s - PEOPLE DONT TALK LIKE THAT!
    [not even "hilariously kooky" tree huggers]

Overall, piss poor in my opinion, and a waste of some decent camerawork/cinematography/editing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

So I shouldn't bother getting my folks to tape it then, maybe tape it so I can make bits of it. Now to find out how much they paid the resident chair moisteners! Its a six part series I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

deisemum wrote:
    There may be a follow on series

surely not if the responses in thread reflect the thoughts of the country in general

i got to watch next week to see how bad it actually is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Oobie

Why did Jolene look the same age as her mother?? Or was it her step-mother (I switched over after about 10 mins). The accents were far from neutral - they were awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Its also pegged as a Drama, I thought it was a poor comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

the actress who plays jolenes mom was in the commitments,angleine something?
    i thought the show was great a true reflection of society in modern ireland..............oh no wait it was absolutely shocking!
    i watched it straight after fr ted(the rte schedule) and to be honest it could have passed for a very poor copycat programme of father ted. i would have switched off only for i couldn believe how poor it was!

i mean how could the script writers get it so wrong? you can throw in a healthy dose of poor acting too but the characters were so unbelievable. like what was the story with the family that thought they were in dallas?

my 70 year old dad summed it up, too many attempts at a storyline and not enough time spent at any of them!!(he dosnt get out much,bless him)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

Was I completly missing the plot last night or where Jolene and her family travellers who made a load of money?? When i heard the accents that what i immediatly thought.

God the acting was terrible.. Angeline Ball is meant to be Jolenes mother and she looks the same age as her.. That guy who runs the strip tease place is the spit of Barry from Fair City... and dont get me started on the priest... for fcuks sake... no priest in the world goes on like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

gazzer wrote:
    That guy who runs the strip tease place is the spit of Barry from Fair City...

I thought he was the gambling DJ from Fr. Ted with the one record maybe I'm wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Peaches & Creme

Hi
    I live in a small town beside the sea in County Meath where Adam Fergus (Seamus)'parents live. He moved out here from Drogheda years ago, and was a snobby git. He was so cheeky and a little sneer, but in saying that all the young ones were after him. His family still live out here, but he has not lived here in quite some time.
    Does anybody else remember him?? He went to St Josephs CBS in Drogheda i think. I nearly died when i saw him in yesterdays paper and was even more shocked to see him acting on TV last night!!!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

kevmy wrote:
    I thought he was the gambling DJ from Fr. Ted with the one record maybe I'm wrong.
    hahaha brilliant....thats the same image i had,was missing the piano keys jacket!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Scarlet89

basquille wrote:
    Sweet Christ... this is absolutely atrocious! :eek:

Acting is diabolical, the writing is dire - definitely a new low in Irish television.
    yyyyyep got it in one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Quote from last nights episode "will ya relax the kaks". Dramatic stuff as the opel ad for Irish drama goes. Poor show all round I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

nice scenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I thought maybe it was RTE's take on Shameless.
    It was bad though.
    What about the skin head priest, are there actually priests like that here? I've never seen any.
    As other people have said its daft the Jolenes mother looks the same age as her.
    I just sat there for the hour shaking my head!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

trouble in paradise was thee most incoheerant tv drama i think ive ever seen
    it didnt know what it was
    it tried to be about a dozen things and ended up being nothing
    DIRE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

had a look this evening. it is terrible. wont be going back next week

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭homerjk

Why in the name of jesus is that main hippy girl talking/acting like that?! is she supposed to be some sort of retarded ghost?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Absolute shocking script.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

This programme is plain weird. The "young" people are in their 30s.....
    And the garda is local and based in his own home town?
    and hes living with his brothers in the same house..........
    The accents are just shockingly bad.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

homerjk Why in the name of jesus is that main hippy girl talking/acting like that?! is she supposed to be some sort of retarded ghost?

i thought was pretty obvious

shes a west britt

her childhood sweet heart reffered to the fact that he couldnt belive that he used to go out with the girl from the big house

shes an upper class girl consumed by liberal guilt who has rebelled against her aristocratic up bringing by joining a group of eco warriors

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭seanironmaiden

ah class... a thread about how bad this programe is. I was too lazy to switch over after Father Ted and ended up witnessing this atrocity.... it's worse than that Dan & Becks rubbish... shame on you RTE...

Advertisement