Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PRSI & Dole question

Options
  • 29-01-2007 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a couple of questions. First some background. I am in a job at the moment in the IT sector which I am leaving at the end of February.

From March to September I will be self-studying for a professional qualification in my field.

In September I will be going to Canada for a year on a Usit work visa. My questions are:

1. I have 3 years PRSI built up. Do I need to do anything to keep up my PRSI contributions or claim credits when I am not working? The next Irish job I will work will probably be Sept 08 at the earliest.

2. What is my position around claiming the dole when I am studying between March and September? As stated I will be self studying so I won't be a registered student. However, I won't be looking for an Irish job during this period.

Appreciate any advice on the above.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Cerdito wrote:
    Hi all,

I have a couple of questions. First some background. I am in a job at the moment in the IT sector which I am leaving at the end of February.

From March to September I will be self-studying for a professional qualification in my field.

In September I will be going to Canada for a year on a Usit work visa. My questions are:

1. I have 3 years PRSI built up. Do I need to do anything to keep up my PRSI contributions or claim credits when I am not working? The next Irish job I will work will probably be Sept 08 at the earliest.

2. What is my position around claiming the dole when I am studying between March and September? As stated I will be self studying so I won't be a registered student. However, I won't be looking for an Irish job during this period.

Appreciate any advice on the above.

1. As regards your PRSI, you can't sign on for unemployment credits while absdent from the state, you will have to pay voluntary contributions to make sure there is not a gap in your insurance record when you return. You will have to contach PRSI special collections section in Dept. Social & Family Affairs Waterford for more information on this.

2. You can't claim Jobseeker's Benefit whil studying as you stated you won't be looking for work during this period.

The basic conditions for Jobseeker's Beneft are listed below:

unemployed (for at least 3 days in every 6 days)
    under age 66
    capable of work
    available for full-time work, and
    genuinely seeking work.
    Satisfy the PRSI contribution conditions., 52 paid PRSI contributions since first entering insurable employment, 39 paid or credited contributions paid at classes A,H,P in the relevant contribution year (currently 2005) or 26 contributions paid in both 2005 and 2004 (at classes A,H, or P)

Advertisement