Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dvd skipping in last few chapters

Options
  • 28-01-2007 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭

hi when i burn my avi's to dvd with nero 7 they work perfect until i get to the last few chaptors and then they start to skip and become unwatchable,

ive googled this and the answer seems to be the media but im using philips dvd+r 16 x so surely it is not the discs.

anyone else have a similiar problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

It probably is the media, the firmware in the writer that contains the write strategy for said media is probably not all that well tuned or the media itself is a bad batch.

The bad burn at the end can be confirmed by doing a transfer rate test in Nero CD/DVD Speed it will show a graph of the DVD, also creating a test disc is another way.

I see three choices:

1) Burn at 12x or 8x instead of 16x the slower speed at the end may stop the errors being reproduced.

2) Update the firmware on your DVD writer if you don't know how what make is it ?

3) Change your brand of media.

This is an example of the transfer rate test as you can see the disc has a significant dip near the end which can account for a playback issue with some players, of course bear in mind that not all players are equal and some players are better than others at reading discs. Now the test below was actually able to complete by dropping to a very slow speed but say for instance you did the test on your discs and it could not complete the transfer rate then that is a sign the disc is essentially a coaster.
    BENQ_1640_BSJB_CMC_MAG_M01_16x-NTR.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭confetti

ive tried different media but the problem still persists. ive also checked the firmware of my philips +-rw dvd8701 but apparently it is up to date.

when i used clone dvd to back up my discs i never seemed to have a problem. but i can't use this for my avi's, so maybe nero 7 is the problem as in it's just not 100% compatible with my dvd writer???

it's soooo annoying when the whole film is perfect but then skips at end.... GRRRRRRRRRRRR

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭branners69

What speed are you burning at??

Drop it down to 2.4x and you shouldnt have any skipping problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

I would recommending cross-flashing to the BenQ 1640 same drive internals but much better firmware and should write the discs better if the media is up to snuff.

Download BQFlasher and download the BenQ 1640 firmware, run BQFlasher and load in the firmware.exe into it and it will flash the drive reboot once done and when it comes back up you should have a BenQ 1640.

Also download Q-Suite 2.1 once the conversion is done and go to the solidburn tab and enable solidburn for known media called supported discs.

Now try burning the media again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭confetti

ok 8T8, i've done everything you suggested there. it seems to have worked ok, i now have a benq drive.

ill do a test later on and see if there is any improvement!

thanks for your help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement