Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Webcam Recommendations

Options
  • 28-01-2007 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been asked a lot before, but Im looking for recommendations for a good webcam.

It needs to be skype compatible, and should clip on to a laptop. I have a good headset and mic so it dosnt need to have a mic really.

I'll be using it for video conferencing with a number of people in the room so it'll need to be fairly clear from a distance.

Any recommendations? My budget is around €50.

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I have a Logitech QuickCam Pro4000 (replaced with Pro5000 I think) and I have to say it is a great camera! And it has 2 stands. One for laptops/TFTs and one to simply put on a desk.

Great buy and around €50 EUR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I have a Logitech QuickCam Pro4000 (replaced with Pro5000 I think) and I have to say it is a great camera! And it has 2 stands. One for laptops/TFTs and one to simply put on a desk.

Great buy and around €50 EUR.

Great stuff, thanks. Would I be better off getting one with a built in mic if lots of people in the room were going to use it to talk? It would save having to switch the headset over all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Trotter wrote:
    Great stuff, thanks. Would I be better off getting one with a built in mic if lots of people in the room were going to use it to talk? It would save having to switch the headset over all the time.

Practically all webcams have a built in mic these days (the Quickcam 5000 does just in case your wondering).

8T8 wrote:
    Practically all webcams have a built in mic these days (the Quickcam 5000 does just in case your wondering).

Nice one. I can get that in argos for €75. It comes with a headset.. pity really because I have one already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Argos is not the only place in ireland that sells webcams. Try www.komplett.ie

• Advertisement

Anti wrote:
    Argos is not the only place in ireland that sells webcams. Try www.komplett.ie

Yep I know, Its €2 dearer in Komplett, and with argos I can have it tomorrow afternoon.

The microphone is crap though... It has no mousse on it and you can pick up your neighbour farting! Here's what I did with mine

Crikey.. surely the mic is good if its that strong? :)

Maybe that'd be good for me in that I want people away from the camera to be able to talk and be heard.

Could I turn off the webcam mic and just use my own headset if I wanted to?

Im having second thoughts on that one now!

How about this?http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=30001&langId=-1&catalogId=10751&productId=757428&clickfrom=name

You can change the input/output of sound as you wish. I switched to using my mic on the webcam because the one on my Plantronics headset broke... But worry not! My new Senheiser headset is on its way! :D

Trotter wrote:
    Looks alright... TBH, all webcams are all the same as long as you don't buy the crappy ones that cost €10 EUR...

• Advertisement

Looks alright... TBH, all webcams are all the same as long as you don't buy the crappy ones that cost €10 EUR...

I bought the microsoft one. Just curious though, when no program is using the webcam, is it off??

Ya hear horror stories of people being able to hack into your PC so that they can see and hear from your webcam when you think its off.

Also.. with the built in mic on the camera, and my older headset, I now have 2 active mics on the PC. Does it depend on the settings of whatever program Im using for which of the 2 mics is active at any time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

Trotter wrote:
    I bought the microsoft one. Just curious though, when no program is using the webcam, is it off??

Normally, yes.
    Trotter wrote:
    Ya hear horror stories of people being able to hack into your PC so that they can see and hear from your webcam when you think its off.

I know that mine has a blue light to tell me when it's on/active and it also has a physical blind/shutter built in to it.
    Trotter wrote:
    Also.. with the built in mic on the camera, and my older headset, I now have 2 active mics on the PC. Does it depend on the settings of whatever program Im using for which of the 2 mics is active at any time?

Usually it's an application-specific setting - Skype gives you the option of choosing what sound inputs/outputs you want to use. Otherwise it uses the default option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 texconnolly

creative live notebook cam.

it works grand for skype and stuff

creative live notebook cam.

it works grand for skype and stuff

I've already bought the Microsoft one that I mentioned before. Its odd that it has no lens cover.. most do it seems..

I tried it today anyway and it was fine. Thanks for all the help!

Advertisement