Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Taking car off the road - how?

Options
  • 28-01-2007 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

My car is on it's last legs, tax and NCT are due. Moving abroad anyway, how do I make it official that the car will be off the road and therefore will not need an NCT nor need it's tax renewed. Is it as simple as just phoning NCTS and and the motor tax office? Or is something more formal needed? I couln't find any relevant forms on citizensinformation.ie (formerly oasis.gov.ie).

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Would you not sell it or even give it to a breaker and complete the paperwork to transfer ownership to him then it's not your problem anymore and you might get a few quid for it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Ignore renewals etc. If the car is off the road you can hardly be stopped at Garda checkpoints.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ignore renewals etc. If the car is off the road you can hardly be stopped at Garda checkpoints.

The owner says he/she is moving abroad so I would presume he/she wants to get rid of the car altogether.

To the OP I think you have to fill out some sort of form from the Motor Tax Office to declare the car is scrapped and will not be put on the road again. Not sure on this but give the crowd in Shannon a ring and ask them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

what kind of car is it? might be interested in taking it of your hands.
    What kind of work does it need?

-VB-

Advertisement