Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hidden History RTE1 - Nazi 'Orish' Movies

Options
  • 28-01-2007 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Should be good programme, looking at Joseph Goebbels Irish themed films which were designed to show the British in a bad light in Ireland.

Its on Tuesday night at about 10.20 I think.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

Hope it's better than the last couple of Hidden History programmes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Saw this on tuesday night! The way they showed how Irish people were like and how they behaved was way wide of the mark. (Basically the German actors were portraying how they think Germans would behave in the same situation of repression that Ireland faced). I'd say if Irish people in the early 1940s saw these films they'd be in convulsions of laughter at the absurdity of how they were portrayed more than anything else.

I know I'm missing the point, Irish people were never meant to see these films. They were made purely from a Nazi propogandist point of view. England was a very respected country in Germany around 1940 (believe it or not), and the idea of these films were to turn the Germans against the English. It seemed to work as well judging by the interviews they had with a few old German people who watched these films in the '40's. After watching Oirish films entitled 'MEIN LEBEN FÜR IRLAND' (My life for Ireland), and another called 'Der Fuchs von Glenarvon' (The fox of Glenavron) one of the guys interviewed said he was ready to fight for the fatherland to crush the evil English.

Just goes to show how powerful propoganda films can be!

As you said they weren't made for the Irish so there's no point in even mentioning it. As for the Titantic film, it wasn't shown because it wasn't finished, unlike the reasons the TV show gave.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Shutuplaura

Interestingly, a couple of the extra's were killed during a battle scene in Mein Leben fur Irland and the footage was actually used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

There was at least one Nazi propaganda film made about the boer war at the same time Boers = goodies, English = baddies.

• Advertisement

Yes that was shown in the RTE program I think.

Advertisement