Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I get a map of Dublin showing Dublin Bus routes?

Options
  • 27-01-2007 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

Subject says it all really, there doesn't seem to be anywhere to go to get route maps for Dublin bus. I only recently realised that there are 2 other bus routes that serve my area but involve a slightly longer walk (5 minutes or so). It would be nice to just look at a map and quickly see exactly what routes are available.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Is this what you are looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭useruser

Ruu wrote:
    Is this what you are looking for?

Thanks Ruu, unfortunately not, this doesn't have a decent map so it's difficult (or impossible) to tell what the exact route of a particular bus is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭MiniD

useruser wrote:
    Thanks Ruu, unfortunately not, this doesn't have a decent map so it's difficult (or impossible) to tell what the exact route of a particular bus is.

Hi User,
    A full route network map of Dublin Bus can be bought at their head office on O'Connell Street. Price 2 euro. If it's just your local area you need information for, you can also pick up a free local area guide in there too. These are free of charge and include a map of your local area with the bus routes highlighted. It also has timetables of your local routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭useruser

MiniD wrote:
    Hi User,
    A full route network map of Dublin Bus can be bought at their head office on O'Connell Street. Price 2 euro. If it's just your local area you need information for, you can also pick up a free local area guide in there too. These are free of charge and include a map of your local area with the bus routes highlighted. It also has timetables of your local routes.

Thanks MiniD, that's exactly what I'm looking for, I'll drop in and pick one up. It's a pity that they don't also have this online.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,973 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The Ordnance Survey City Atlas Series - Dublin City and District Street Guide shows bus routes, termini and numbers super-imposed on the maps. Available in most book shops, filling stations etc. http://www.osi.ie/mapping/maps/street.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,953 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'd also recommend that. I find it indispensable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

The Ordnance Survey City Atlas Series - Dublin City and District Street Guide shows bus routes, termini and numbers super-imposed on the maps. Available in most book shops, filling stations etc. http://www.osi.ie/mapping/maps/street.asp

I would exercise caution in using this as the amount of mistakes with regard to bus routes in the guide is phenomenal.

The DB local service guides are better but still have glaring errors (such as the 14/14A terminating in Ballinteer, eighteen months after they were extended to Dundrum!), or containing rail timetables that expired one month after they were published!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,973 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

KC61 wrote:
    I would exercise caution in using this as the amount of mistakes with regard to bus routes in the guide is phenomenal
    Fair enough but, like Stark, I wouldn't be without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,349 ✭✭✭✭Victor

MiniD wrote:
    Hi User,
    You can get the loacl area guides in some Dublin Bus ticket agents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 SkippyCraig

useruser wrote: »
    Subject says it all really, there doesn't seem to be anywhere to go to get route maps for Dublin bus. I only recently realised that there are 2 other bus routes that serve my area but involve a slightly longer walk (5 minutes or so). It would be nice to just look at a map and quickly see exactly what routes are available.

I just did a bit of googling and came across both this thread and a very handy website which seems to do exactly what you're looking for. I won't show every route together for me for some reason, but if you know from the DB website what routes go near you then you can check them on the link below:

http://www.dublincitybus.com

[Oh and before anyone grumbles I have no connection to the site or it's creator, and only just found it a few minutes ago so can't be blamed for any shortcomings!]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

The contrast between dublincitybus.com and http://www.dublinbus.ie/your_journey/search_by_map.asp is pretty shocking. Dublin Bus really don't care how hard it is to find the bus you might be looking for, do they?

Exhibit number two - http://www.131500.info/realtime/default.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Fair enough but, like Stark, I wouldn't be without it.

Unless I'm mistaken the current edition of the Dublin Street Atlas has been in print for a few years now & probably needs to be revised again. the one I have is the 6th edition - it's pretty accurate but I bought my copy in early 2006. I'd imagine there are some new estates that have been built since then & no doubt a few bus routes have also changed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The current version is the one with the Luas on the front - not sure what revision that is but I think it made an appearance in later 2006/early 2007?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

icdg wrote: »
    The current version is the one with the Luas on the front - not sure what revision that is but I think it made an appearance in later 2006/early 2007?

That's the one I have - definitely bought it in january 2006. Unless there's been another update since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,349 ✭✭✭✭Victor

This: http://www.osi.ie/mapping/maps/street.asp

6th edition, about 12-18 months old, data is a little older.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Just Routes, though their site is a little ropey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

Just clicked in an arbitrary route. It tells me I can get route 14 from Harolds Cross bridge to O'Connell Street. So that's not very credible, then...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

A new edition of the Dublin Bus Route Network Guide is now available priced EUR 3.00 from Dublin Bus Head Office.

It is up to date to January of this year, and is a good comprehensive guide, based on the Ordnance Survey map of Dublin.

Unfortunately, it was published ahead of the introduction of the 140 and the 102/230 merger.

Advertisement