Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Question re Golf

Options
  • 27-01-2007 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I have a 96 Golf, body is cosmetically in rag order, needs a new exhaust front pipe and catalytic converter (quoted 550 euros). It also has a puddle on the floor of the back seat, and it cuts out at low revs.

It's a ****eheap really, but it only has 80,000 on the clock. What is the best way of maximising my money for this car, or is it only good for scrap/parts? Am looking to buy a 5 year old car, probably in a private sale. Is it worth ponying up the money for the exhaust? It's driving OK, but sounds horrendous!

Any advice welcomed as am clueless on these matters.

Luke

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would only guess that a 1996 Golf in mint condition is only worth about €1200 - €1500. So €550 for a new exhaust and cat is roughly going to cost about 1/3 of the value. Plus you mention that the body is rough and other things need doing so it may not make economical sense to spend this money on the car. Something else may need replacing soon after too. It could be a money pit.

On the other hand if you can source these parts second hand and cheaper it might be worth keeping it for another year or two. Just my two cents.

Advertisement