Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

high price private sale

Options
  • 27-01-2007 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

hello all,

i'm helping a relative sell his car privately. the car is worth around 40k and i need to know what the best method of payment is.

i don't want to end up with a forged draft and no car:eek: :eek: :eek:

i also don't want to p*ss off the buyer.

is holding onto the licensing cert enough in the eyes of the law? i'm not very comfortable about letting the car out of my site.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

safest payment methods are cash or in-bank credit transfer.
    If taking payment by cheque or draft then make sure it has cleared before you let the car go.
    Also ask to see the persons licence and insurance* and write down their details.

* presumably you would be doing this before they test drive the car to make sure they are covered and/or for penalty points

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

am i right in thinking credit transfer is the quicker and more secure method, Killian?:)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Its secure insofar that its done within the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

thanks Killian.:)

Advertisement