Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork colours

Options
  • 27-01-2007 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭

A friend told me the other day that Cork's original county colours were green and white, not red and white.

Apparently the British Army found the green and white shirts used for GAA matches and confiscated them so then they used red and white and thus as it is to this day.

can anyone add any truth to this?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

might explain things? seeing cork hiberan and cork city fc wear mostly green and white. you see galway utd fc also were the same colour as their gaa team, same with kilkenny fc, monaghan utd, derry city fc,waterford utd,kildare county fc, (this might be coicendence or lack of imagination from soccer teams though)

but if that was the case (not disagreeing as i just heard the suggestion now), why didn't the cork county board not revert back to the original colours after the british left? dublin gaa use to wear sky blue and white before changing to blue and navy (different time and for different reasons of course)

maybe they wanted to distinguish themselves from limerick, who as we know were green and white? or did not want to clash with their friendly kerry neighbours, lol. then again tipp and clare wear the same colours. still though nice colours suits the rep of cork and rebel county idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Don't know about Cork colours but the Dublin colours were originally Navy Blue and White, until the lady who was washing the strips before a big match forgot to seperate them! :D

The county board decided to keep them that way. I remember seeing this on RTE and it was supposed to have happened in the 40's or 50's I think.

i appologise, i meant to say navy blue and white and not sky blue. nice colurs dublin have now, very distinctive from other counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Shutuplaura

The jersey worn by Hogan on the day he was shot playing for tipperary in 1920 is green and white too - you can see it on display in the museum in Clonmel

the actual jersey? bloodstain and bullet holes? jesus thats a little weird.

the michael collins film copted that as well, cause watching the clip i didnt see the traditional blue and yellow

• Advertisement

yeah, I was surprised myself when i saw it. no blood and its so old its hard to tell which of the holes is a bullet hole but its there. Its actually an impressive mueseum down there if you get a chance

clonmel?is that a gaa museum or just a museum for clonmel? or is there a gaa museum in thurles? either way ye i hope to take a trip down. maybe head to the races and have a bulmers while there.

still sounds weird though but well worth checking out

Its the county museum, has a bit of everything in there. It's no Collins Barracks and probably not worth going much out of your way but is interesting and a lot better than the only other county museum i know - in Galway. But definately, check it out if you are in town. I'd also recomment Phil Carrolls afterwards. Not a museum but still!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

the cork colours were changed years back when they didnt have enough jerseys on the day of an all ireland and the only coulour they could find enough tops for the whole team was red. After winning they kept the lucky colours. Red this in a gaa program before not sure but i thought they had been light blue.

Advertisement