Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Done for car tax on a garage car.

Options
  • 26-01-2007 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

My own car was in the garage for the weekend mid-December so I had a replacement car from the garage which wasn't taxed.
    I got stopped by the guards and was told just to produce my insurance and license in the station. Then today a letter arrived saying I am being fined sixty euro for non display for tax.
    I am raging. The guard never once mentioned tax to me when he stopped me.
    I have found out that there is no legislation in place that covers this.
    The Office of Consumer Affairs says it's a grey area and to take it up with the garage. The Garda Helpline says it's my problem because it's illegal to drive a car with no tax. How I'm expected to tax a car for two days which isn't mine I don't know.

Has anyone ever experienced this?
    I'll probably just take the hit and pay it.
    Unless there is a precedent for people not having to pay it?

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Ouch! I'd take it up with the garage and get them to foot the bill.

But, the onus is on the driver to ensure that the car is taxed, insured, etc, etc before driving it - this is why the Garda Helpline say it is your problem. Like I say, get the garage to foot the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

aw wrote:
    How I'm expected to tax a car for two days which isn't mine I don't know
    You should have ensured it was taxed before taking it out. If I'm driving vehicles belonging to my employer, the onus is on me to ensure that the vehicles have valid tax discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Try going to whoever deals with the fines in your local Garda station.
    If you make your case there they may possibly use their discretion and let you off.

Try to remain calm when stating your case :) .

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

have you tried the garage about the fine if so what was there stand on it they should of given you something with tax on it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

The posters so far are correct, it is up to the driver of the car to ensure it is taxed, insured and NCT'd (if Needed). However if I were you I would try to speak with the Garda and explain it was a garage car. He/she may let you off. Make sure to bring in the fine with you so they can check the reg number of the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Go to the Dealership and ask to speak with the Service Manager, calmly explain the situation that you should have been aware the vehicle you were leant did not have road tax, and that you were subsequently fined. They will more than likely offer to pay the fine for you. Failing that, if you don't get satisfaction, up the ante and speak to the General Manager, staying just as calm and polite. They will sort it, I've no doubt.

Still suprising you were left out without tax though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

the fine goes to the reg. owner, i.e. the garage, you cannot be charged for driving an un taxed car, you are not the reg. owner

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

old boy wrote:
    the fine goes to the reg. owner, i.e. the garage, you cannot be charged for driving an un taxed car, you are not the reg. owner

This statement is incorrect. It is the responsibility of the driver to ensure the vehicle is taxed and insured before it is taken out on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

old boy wrote:
    Not if the Garda took the drivers name and address. The responsibility lies with the driver, every single time.

If the ticket was written in the absence of the driver (while the car was parked/unattended) then the fine will end up at the registered owners address.

Advertisement