Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sneaky Speed Camera????

Options
  • 26-01-2007 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

Question for ya all.

I was down home in Roscommon last night and my mother was telling me about a strange camera that appeared on the telegraph pole at the end of our road at the junstion with the main Dublin-Castlebar road. The camera part is a little bigger then a cigar box and was bolted onto the pole about 20ish feet up with wires coming down the pole to a grey box sitting on the ground at the base of the pole. My mother seemed to think it was a mobile speed camera as it was there for a day or two and then disappeared. There were a few more of these cameras dotted around our area on telegraph poles with another in our local village (inside the 50kmph area) all pointing downward toward the road/traffic. I seen one myself as i was driving into Athleague village this morning on my way to Galway.

Has anyone idea what they are?? Are they new speed camera's being tested/under trial or are they doing some sort of survey maybe???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭zt-OctaviaN

yup I have seen one of these it was in mayo near where I lived pointin up a main road toward the 30mph sign as you coming into the town.
    The gaurds didnt know anything about it, or perhaps that gaurd said he doont know anything about it!
    He said it was probably a servey camera, but heck what are camera for!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

I saw these too in my area. Were only in place for a few hours or a day at most. They are survey cameras of some sort alright. Obviously monitoring speeds etc so whether testing the best locations for new speed cameras when privatised or not, hard to say. Thats what I would take from it, but I could be completely wrong.

P.S. Make sure you smile for the birdie, as your passing !

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Hmmm, if thats the case and they are doing surveys for best locations for cameras then it appears that it has sweet FA to do with safety!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

It could be monitoring traffic volumes, possibly for the county council to guage road usage at certin times. If its to with speed camera placement, no surprise as these will be in the location that generates the most fines, not slows the most people down or prevents the most accidents. Fish in a barrel people.....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

What is the legislation on speed cameras? Will there be a sign on the road stating that there is a speed camera ahead? or will they just be no sign and then all the fines start flying in the front door?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

The first thing id say is re the "telegraph "pole. That belongs to eircom and is therefore private property. If you contact them with pole location they might be aware of this or similar elsewhere. If they are allowing cams on their poles then they may advise you otherwise id say its illegal to interfere with the pole.

i need to have a look into this ....take a pic for major sunday tabloid as well!

if by chance its on an ESB pole then report it to them and include the pole number...they are all numbered.

Advertisement