Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What should I do?

Options
  • 26-01-2007 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭

My next door neighbour is having a conservatory built.
    Yesterday the lads building it had a cement mixer in her drive and this morning I noticed that the whole side of the car is covered with little splashes of cement, with a few on the roof, bonnet and windows.
    They have now put up a sheet on poles, so I think they must have noticed what was happening.

What action should I take..

1.) Wait until they have finished and sort it out myself.
    2.) Have a word with the lads now and see what they say.
    3.) Contact the office and tell them I want it sorted, give them the option of going through their insurance or settling with me and I get it sorted.

My first choice was going to be No 3, but then I thought it would only be fair to approach the lads first.

What do you think?

Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭iremex

i would go with number two and see what they have to say for themselves and inform them you are going to call their office to sort out the "repair" work that you have to get done to your car.
    if you want to be PC about it, ask,politely, who can you call in their office to discuss the removal of the cement spots from your car..

cement wont be the kindest to your paint work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

The same thing happen me in work. I had a word with the lads, they got the car cleaned before the cement had gone off fully.

First thing I would do is get the car power washed to remove as much of the cement as possible and then see what is left. If your / they are lucky the cement will wash off otherwise I would start getting their insurance details and get ready to claim for a repaint at the worst. I wouldn't go in heavy handed, this usually has the negative effect I find. Better to call one of them over and show them the damage done and take if from there. Unless they are cowboys, you should be sorted alright.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Take close up photos and get your car sorted without delay. A proper valeting company should be able to sort out the problem with a chemical wash. Just don't leave it for weeks. Act now. Sort out the claim & costs later.

P.S. D'ont let the builders try and rub or scrub the cement off, they will scratch the paint to bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Right, I've taken the pics, but not had a chance to speak to the lads yet. They went off to lunch before I got out to take the pics and aren't back yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Get the car cleaned straight away, properly, not with a scrubbing brush. If you're not too sure how to do it leave it to the professional valet. The last thing you want for your car is to get it painted. It's never the same afterwards, overspray, colour mismatch, poorer finish, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

You did the right thing getting the pictures, but get some of where they had their mixer in relation to your car, too.

As has been said already, get the car washed, but do NOT use a machine wash. A hand wash (starting with a powerhose) should see you right.

Good luck with it.

EDIT: It's Friday; the builders probably downed tools for a half day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Have shown the next door neighbour the damage, so at least I have another witness apart from my wife. (They did take a half day Friday.)

Have searched Car valeting that do chemical cleaning also paint shops that may also offer that service. Found nothing, although I haven't given my trusty Honda dealer a ring yet.

Does anyone one have any recommendations?
    Obviously the closer to Kilkenny the better.

Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

I d'ont know Kilkenny at all or your exact location. Just putting in car valeting Kilkenny into google all I could see quickly is http://www.crystalclean.ie/carwash.asp

Normally I wouldn't recommend shopping centre valeting crowds as they tend to use immigrant workers with little experience but time is of the essence. Unless you know of one yourself where the owner does or oversees the work. Tell them to buy Concept Chemicals Surge from PR Reilly in Dublin. I know that company uses some of their products so it should not be an issue. They may not have experience of same but no harm to ask. This stuff would not be suitable for consumer use on health & safety grounds.

http://www.conceptchemicals.com/concept/catalog/singleproduct.php?display=Concept&groupid=22&query=concrete

Found these on Google too

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=507561

http://cartalk.com/board/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=336462&Main=335016

I wouldn't start playing around with acids (far too dangerous to both yourself and the paint) but no harm trying vinegar, just shampoo wash it off the car before it dries.

Advertisement