Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Place Like Home

Options
  • 26-01-2007 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭

Is it just me who has big problems with this new Irish production? I know it was on last year, but its jsut started back up.

Its great that we are embracing the immigrants, and arent we great to have people from so many countries with funny names coming to Ireland. Ok, we'll leave that go for now, as its probably not the main drive behind the program..but there is that overtone throughout.

Ok, so Bob Kelly visits an immigrant in Ireland and takes a message back to his family. Some families who seemingly will not neccessarily see their son/daughter again, and to my mind are emotionally exploited for the program.

Rather than follow the immigrant home for a short while (which I understand amy not always be possible), which to me would be the more sensitive thing to do, they sent Bob for a fairly worthless tourist guide of the immigrant's country of origin, building up to the climax of filming the immigrant's family father, mother, son, daughter, sister, brother, hold back the tears while being passed a message on film. Wouldn't a hug be better?

The presenter, Bob Kelly, who doesnt come accross well, in my book, slightly thick, but maybe it is because he is complicit in the cheap emotional method of producing a television program.

Not entirely certain if I am putting my finger on what sickens me about the program's premise, but I do think its exploitative, yet I'm sure those concerned think they are doing a great service.

Just wanted to get that off my chest, and see if anyone else agreed..

Advertisement