Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Avoid being blinded

Options
  • 25-01-2007 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,339 ✭✭✭✭

Living in a rural location and been blinded regularly for a few months by idiot drivers now have decided that enough is enough and I'm going to do the following.

1) Car behind me is blinding me - full beams on or driving to close to my back bumper
    • Flash hazards
    • Start braking gently
    • Turn off hazards and indicate left
    • Pull over and wait for lit up idiot to pass
    • Start driving again , resisting the urge to do unto them what they did to me

2) Car behind me is blinding me - and dips their beams for oncoming traffic (grrr..so its ok to follow a blinded driver but hey lets warn the oncoming traffic that he might swerve all over the road because I'm lighting up his cabin like Christmas and he cannot see jack shiite through the windscreen because of the glare...)
    • Flash hazards
    • Slow down
    • He probably wont get the message and will try to overtake at this point
    • Speed up ..and do my best to prevent overtaking

Be warned rear view blinders.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Right...

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Longfield is right. These people piss me off too... :mad:

There is a little knob on your mirror...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

ronoc wrote:
    There is a little knob on your mirror...
    no no, if theres a car with full beams behind u, there a knob IN the mirror :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Longfield wrote:
    Speed up ..and do my best to prevent overtaking

Be warned rear view blinders.

I know you're probably just trying to start a flame war, but trying to prevent someone overtaking who has committed to overtake is stupid and dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Longfield - switch off your rear fogs!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,032 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Longfield wrote:
    Speed up ..and do my best to prevent overtaking

No matter how annoyed you are and no matter what kind of knob is behind you, tailgaiting you, flashing you and what not, just let it be and let them overtake you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

unkel wrote:
    No matter how annoyed you are and no matter what kind of knob is behind you, tailgaiting you, flashing you and what not, just let it be and let them overtake you

Yip, best advice.

Don't become them...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Blue850

mount a set of spotlights on your rear bumper...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

Longfield, maybe your trying to fix the symptom rather then the cause

cant remember the last time I had a guy fallowing me with his heads on must be a good few months ago anyway, and i drive 60miles a day, 4 days a week

are you sure all your rear lights are okay, maybe one is too bright and your blinding them

might not be too far from the truth

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Excellent. Game over. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

mukki wrote:
    cant remember the last time I had a guy fallowing me with his heads on must be a good few months ago anyway, and i drive 60miles a day, 4 days a week

I see it a good bit during the weekend driving when there's a tightly packed queue of cars coming against me and you see cars in the queue dipping their lights for me and then putting back on the full beams as I pass. I don't notice being blinded so much myself from behind, maybe it's because I don't drive at 40mph on national roads like the muppet creating the queue :) The one time I have been badly blinded was when it was a garda car following me. It's a good job I didn't try any funny stuff ;)

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Amen for autodimming rearview mirrors..the assholes can have their fulls on for as long as they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Get a big LED display on your back window that you could power on, that had a big F*CKOFF ya wan*er dip your lights. :D Or else its a can of paint out the window lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭zt-OctaviaN

Hmm..
    Have you checked your lights any fogs on check your dash light or actually check that you bulbs are the correct wattage and are funcioning correctly.

That satisfied I have never been subject to or heard of this?
    I have witnessed on occasion some people tailgating due to cars travelling at 45mph (about 74kph) or less!! this IS annoying bacause the driver well say as a form of excuse at night cannot cope with headlights oncoming and breaks hard every car he/she approaches this is worrying!!
    Someone cannot see properly! so yes have see this happen to slow drivers and ones who accelerate then slap the brakes on at every car.

If this is not your method of driving then the idiot behind you should be reported! as they must have been doing it to the last person they were behind and not just you! (for a reason?)

Dont do anything that may result in you being liable for anything e.g. speeding up if they overtake? very dangerous! as is the lights thing but dont put it on yourself. Just flick the knob on the mirror and cruise away at 80 - 100kph! and listen to some music! if they overtake let em and get their number

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I drive on the road out to Roundwood and Annamoe from the N11, where Longfield apparently lives, and beyond, on a regular basis, and have yet to experience this on any regular basis I have to say. As others have said, flick the dipping mirror switch and ignore them, no point in causing an accident to prove your 'point'.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,339 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Alun wrote:
    I drive on the road out to Roundwood and Annamoe from the N11, where Longfield apparently lives, and beyond, on a regular basis, and have yet to experience this on any regular basis I have to say. As others have said, flick the dipping mirror switch and ignore them, no point in causing an accident to prove your 'point'.

Very surprised you haven't noticed this, I dunno maybe the Fabia hatch rear window is just too big compared to the cabin and allows to much light into the drivers field of vision

Next car with be higher up or maybe a saloon with a steeper sloping rear window (refraction and less distance on a vertical Y-axis )

Maybe I'm being over sensitive, last night was fuming after being followed up the arse by some f/wit that dimmed their lights for oncoming traffic and then put them back on as they passed as he drove about 5 feet from my rear bumper which led to this post.

As to the rear fogs being on (Wishbone Ash you got me paranoid that it WAS me there for a second!!), can assure they are not on, checked them this evening and they only come on when the light dial is pulled out to the second notch (first for front fogs, second for both).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Longfield wrote:
    As to the rear fogs being on (Wishbone Ash you got me paranoid that it WAS me there for a second!!), can assure they are not on, checked them this evening and they only come on when the light dial is pulled out to the second notch (first for front fogs, second for both).

For years I've given a lot of thought to the reasons why people might have their rear fogs on and might not be aware that they are on. For all Audis, Volkswagens and Skodas (and Seats I presume) you see on the road with rear fogs on, I'm convinced it's because the driver hasn't realised that there is a middle position to pull it out to for front fogs only (which they have evidently intentionally put on for reasons best known to themselves ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Don't you just hate the muppets who dip their headlights in good time as they approach but just as they get to about 20 metres from you they put their headlights back on before they have passed and totally blind you. Baaaaastaaaards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Amen for autodimming rearview mirrors..the assholes can have their fulls on for as long as they want.

Definitely a great invention.....just two little greenish discs in the mirrors

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I find turning on the rear fog lights works wonders....it creates a nice blinding effect for the bastard behind you....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I was about to post something when I realised it could be turning into a fog light thread - Again :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭zt-OctaviaN

I was gonna post something...so I will.
    Yes thats bright turn on the fogs! this creates a glare causing drivers who normally look 2 - 3 cars ahead of you no longer capable of doing so.
    Now although some good drivers will either blast past you or drop back, others who do this but also tailgate may just hit you up the arse in the event of an emergency! bad enough you concentrating on them but blinding the ejit behind you is great in a smash cos ya its there fault they didnt drop back or blast past instead they stuck there and hit you. It aint fun laughing at the fact your now in a wheelchair due to whiplash!
    report them or something but dont turn it into a game of 'Ill blindja' ya pup!'

Well I've thought of the rear fog revenge but sadly the Fabia rear fogs are pretty pathetic(no blinding white light, just ordinary reds brighter), now if it was the reverse lights plus fogs that might annoy the barstewards...

Hmm, maybe a very bright neon sign in my rear window saying "If you can read you probably cannot see the road just like me!!"

Maybe I'll mount four bloomin white lights on the rear to guide the lost drivers....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

This should also apply to the complete muppets who insist on driving on clear nights with FRONT FOG LIGHTS on.

Advertisement