Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel 50/50 - wots the catch

Options
  • 25-01-2007 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Checking out the Opel 50/50 offer & thinking of getting the 1.9CDTI Zafira. Seems like a good deal only having to pay half now and the remainder in 2009 so is there a catch. Price seems the same if you pay it all today or take the 50/50 option.

Am I missing something obvious :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

borrow the money from a bank or credit union and go into the garage and do a cash deal,,,no such thing as a free lunch,,,,they already have the interest on the money factored into the price of the car..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

also check out the resale value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Some maufacturers need to come up with gimmicks to sell more cars. Others rely on the cars to sell themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭patrickc

GM is in financial trouble I heard, thats why they're doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

To the OP, study the small print of the deal in detail before signing up to anything. Also compare the deal against a loan from your bank or credit union.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

The catches are, firstly its an Opel and secondly its worth about half what you paid for it in a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

Figured as much - when I initially enquired there was no difference between a full cash sale and the 50/50 offer but assume if you push you'll get the real price.

Then there's the resale, had a look on carzone and see what you mean.

Looks like its back to the drawing board then or following the herd over to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

There is no catch with the 50/50 offer if you think about it.

Pay half now over two years by way of a bank loan.

Pay the other half in 2009 over two years on a bank loan.

I talked to my local Opel dealer who said that the Astra SH was 24000, i would get 1500 discount off it.

Pay 10500 now and 12000 in two years time.

Check out loan rates and I would save 1200 in interest charges over four years doing it this way.

Discount of 1500 + Interest saving of 1200, no catch, its just how you structure the loan.

junkyard wrote:
    The catches are, firstly its an Opel.

And the problem with that is?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

ronoc wrote:
    And the problem with that is?

It's junkyard - pet hates include world hunger, Opel and Renault. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

The catch is you get an Opel!!!

I would question reliability, how it stacks up against the competition & also what it's resale is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,032 ✭✭✭✭unkel

kluivert wrote:
    Discount of 1500 + Interest saving of 1200, no catch

Indeed. If you were financing your car with a loan anyway, it's a good deal. It works out roughly the same as when you pay full retail (no discount) but get 0% finance over the full amount (no deposit) over 4 years

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

sohappy wrote:
    no such thing as a free lunch,,,,they already have the interest on the money factored into the price of the car..

This is true, its subsidised by the manufacturer to the participating finance company. However, theres no cash additional cash discount available as stated by another poster. The manufacturer only pay the subsidise when the new vehicle is financed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

The catch is you get an Opel!!!

Watch out Lee Evans, the comedians are out on boards.ie today... :rolleyes:

@ OP: some of the messages here are utter ****e. Short-list a few cars and look at them in detail, test drive them etc.. But above all don't discount any car based on a few "I hate Opel/Renault/Alfa etc. etc. etc." types on here.

Regarding the 50-50 offer - it's just another finance option. Suits some people, may not suit others. But at least it's an option that's available should you want it. You can always just finance as you please anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,032 ✭✭✭✭unkel

PauloMN wrote:
    Regarding the 50-50 offer - it's just another finance option. Suits some people, may not suit others. But at least it's an option that's available should you want it. You can always just finance as you please anyway.

It's a bit more than that as kluivert and I demonstrated. If you were going to finance your car anyway, it is a very cheap way of doing so

If you were not going to finance your car, it's not that attractive

Advertisement