Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I think i found a new way

• 25-01-2007 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

Hya's,
    Well let start out by admiting that I used to be a "regular" heavyish smoker (20 a day), then I was out sick for about 3 months, so I then became a "heroic" smoker :mad: and now smoke about 80+ a day (chain smoking). Yes I do know what the do to you, anyway this may work for some people.

First off I'm a nerd so this suits me just fine, ok so I timed myself and worked out that it takes me approx. 8 minutes to have a ciggarette. So I said to myself that "well i should be able to cut every second one out", so after I have a ciggarette I time myself for 10 min (flick open phone), then I have another ciggarette. Now I can go over the time if i'm doing something but the clock starts back when I finish the cigarrete.

For example:
    10:00 Smoke ciggarette
    10:08 Finish, Start the timer
    10:18 Cigarette allowed
    10:26 Finish, Start Timer
    10:36 Cigarette allowed
    etc.

This may seem completely anal I know but it's working for me, the thing is your not saying that "oh no i cant have a cigarrete I'm off them", all you have to do is last another 10 minutes.

The plan is to slowly increase your "time" limit, I've been doing this now and here are some results.

Regular Day 80+
    Day 1 10 min 47
    Day 2 10 min 45
    Day 3 15 min 37
    Day 4 15 min 34

So if i feel a need I'll just stay at the "time limit" for another day, then increase it when I dont feel the need. Hopefully I'll get to a stage where the "time limit" is around the 1 hour mark, then I'll be happy. Hopefully this is an odd way to look at things, or it could be completly useless I dont know, but it seems to be working for me.
    Cya
    Muineach

P.S. i'm not using any patches or gum

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭CherieAmour

Interesting method....

I guess whatever works!!:)

You posted this in January...how has it worked out??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Used to do something similiar, by the hour. Currently I'm attempting to break my morning habit. Once successful I'll try and break my mid day habit and so on and so forth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

8 mins a smoke??
    christ 2mins here
    about 12 a day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

According to Allen Carr, decreasing the amount you smoke makes you perceive the ones you do smoke to be more pleasureable.
    Then when you decide to quit, you're in the mindset that you're depriving yourself of your little pleasure, which of course you're not :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 DrFunkenstein

Dont look like hes with us anymore.. 80+ a day ehh.. ****in ell... i know how you could cut half of those out, take up masturbation.. gives yourt hands somthing to do, rewards teh plesure centers. an who knows maybe when ye get good at it you could last for hours without a smoke... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

thats pritty much like what i do when ever i ween myself off ciggies. I dont want to quit, but certain evens like training and what not means i have to quit them for a while, but i always come back on them out of choise - i dont see an addiction in smoking, i see it as a personal choise.

If i want to cut down and quit, i simply say to myself 'i could wait another 5 minutes', i dont need a smoke right now. Then at that 5 minutes, i say 'will i go for antoher 5?' then i reward myself when i get to 10/15/20 with a smoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Has anyone ever read 'cats eye' by Stephen King? There is a short story in their about a chronic smoker who wants to give up. It is a great story and captures the nature of the addict through conditioning.

When I was giving up the cigs I was desperate I actually had a constant debate with myself saying one ciggy is ok after all you have lasted a day! And the other side of me said no, no, no. It was a fight and I found myself having a rationalble debate with myself as to whether I could have one or not.
    Eventually the ciggy side won and I found my feet carrying my body to the shop against my wills concent, to buy the cancer inducing breath taking mother effing product back into my life.

I bought the cigs and started the walk home, half way back the debate began again, do you really want these cigs, what are they doing to you, is the fleeting pleasure of the first hit worth the lifetime of ****. I crushed the box of ciggies and threw them away.

The next day I did the same again I bought some ciggies from the shop and as soon as I walked out an almost involtarily response made me crush them again and throw them 'unusable' away.

I make the point of unusable because I often looked at a half ciggie on the street and was well tempted to pick it up and smoke it as long as nobody was looking. Now that is something which is controlling your life in a really bad way. It is the nature of addiction, it controls you, you do not control it, realise that and you are only halfway there.

Smoking is purely ****, it kills you, it restricts you it is addictive. Respect yourself and at least try every day to give it up.

Advertisement