Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drugs Payment Scheme

Options
  • 25-01-2007 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Became unemployed towards the end of last year.

Then was pretty sick and spent a lot of money in doctors and on medication:mad:

While in pharmacy I spotted leafelt about the Drugs Payment Scheme DPS, the woman behind the counter did not seem all that interested in pushing it.

The leafelt had little info, but I filled it in and got the DPS card in the post two months later with no information at all with it!

I am still not sure what this gives me? Can I get money back on my numerous trips to the GP and Chemist last year?
    Or does this card pay for my future trips to GP etc?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Found this on the HSE website:

Drugs Payment Scheme
    Under the Drugs Payment Scheme (DPS) persons who are ordinarily resident in the State and who do not have a current medical card can benefit - an individual or family has now to pay no more than €78 in a calendar month for approved drugs, medicines and appliances for themselves or their families.

In order to benefit under this Scheme a person must register themselves and their dependants with their local Health Board.

Items currently reimbursable under the Drugs Payment Scheme are those listed in the GMS Code Book. Other items which were reimbursable under the DCS and Refund of Drugs Schemes continue, in certain circumstances, to be reimbursable under the Drugs Payment Scheme. DPS claims are processed and paid by the Board.

General Medical Services
    Persons who are unable without undue hardship to arrange general practitioner medical and surgical services for themselves and their dependants and all persons aged 70 years and over receive a free general medical service.

Drugs, medicines and appliances supplied under the Scheme are provided through retail community pharmacies. In most cases the Doctor gives a completed prescription form to a person, who takes it to any pharmacy that has an agreement with a Health Board to dispense General Medical Services (GMS) prescription forms. In rural areas the Doctor may dispense for those persons who opt to have their medicines dispensed by him/her.

All GMS claims are processed and paid by the Board.

See the following hyperlink for info on Dept. Health and Children Website:
    http://www.dohc.ie/press/releases/1998/19981201.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

I have a DPS card, anyone can get one, its not like a medical card, its not related to income

its sole purpose is to ensure that a person doesn't spend more then EUR 85 in a given month for drugs*

(*they must be prescribed by a doctor/dentist, they must appear on a government list many aren't for example some acne drugs, you must use the same chemist in the month)

on the one hand yopu would think a chemist would promote the card because it means he will have that customer, but on the other I imagine the chemist would prefer cash today from a customer at his sticker price instead of a delayed bulk payment from the government at a set price

Advertisement