Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I sign on?

Options
  • 25-01-2007 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭

Hi. I'm currently job hunting, but it could be a few weeks, or months, before I actually start work. I'm going to sign on the dole to tide me over until then. I have a few questions though.

1. After I sign on, when's the first time I get something?
    2. How much per week would I get? I live in rented accommodation and I support myself.
    3. WHERE do I sign on? I live by UCD.
    4. What do I need to bring?

I've never signed on before but I want to make it as pain free as possible. I realise I could hunt down this information myself, but maybe someone on Boards already knows this info without having to visit Google Hell.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

When you recieve your first payment depends on whether you were sacked, made redundent or just left of your own accord anything between two and six weeks but with redundency pay taken into account it may be longer. You can look up in the phone book the nearest social welfare office to you and you will need your pps no. and some form of ID and a bill or bank statement to say where you live and your p45. You may get a rent allowance but this is seperate and you get that from the eastern health board (also in the phone book). Not sure how much you get but its not going to be a whole lot and it will not be pain free. in fact if you can get another job you would be much better off google hell is nothing compared to social welfare office hell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

foxy06 wrote:
    When you recieve your first payment depends on whether you were sacked, made redundent or just left of your own accord anything between two and six weeks but with redundency pay taken into account it may be longer. You can look up in the phone book the nearest social welfare office to you and you will need your pps no. and some form of ID and a bill or bank statement to say where you live and your p45. You may get a rent allowance but this is seperate and you get that from the eastern health board (also in the phone book). Not sure how much you get but its not going to be a whole lot and it will not be pain free. in fact if you can get another job you would be much better off google hell is nothing compared to social welfare office hell!

Thanks, Foxy. I've seen the Social Welfare Office in Cork and that's partially why I've still to draw a day's dole in my life (I'm 27); it looked such a hellish mess, fights breaking out and all. It looks like SUCH a pain in the balls for so paltry an amount of money. I guess it's a good system if it makes work look the more inviting of your options. I think I'll just take a low-paying job when I'm killing time until my ship sails in. Even that would pay more than the state, and I'd have the added benefit of a warm, fuzzy feeling derived from a hard day's labour when I stumble in in the evenings with my eighty quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

foxy06 wrote:

Apollo house deals with Dublin 4. Tara St (i'll confirm this tomorrow). It can take up to 5 weeks for payment to issue depending on the office. In the mean time you can contact your community welfare officer as regards a BASI payment to tide you over in the mean time. any money paid on this will be deducted from any social welfare arrears due to you on Jobseeker's Benefit/Allowance.

rediguana wrote:
    Thanks, Foxy. I've seen the Social Welfare Office in Cork and that's partially why I've still to draw a day's dole in my life (I'm 27); it looked such a hellish mess, fights breaking out and all. It looks like SUCH a pain in the balls for so paltry an amount of money. I guess it's a good system if it makes work look the more inviting of your options. I think I'll just take a low-paying job when I'm killing time until my ship sails in. Even that would pay more than the state, and I'd have the added benefit of a warm, fuzzy feeling derived from a hard day's labour when I stumble in in the evenings with my eighty quid.
    It's not that bad actually!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

rediguana wrote:
    Thanks, Foxy. I've seen the Social Welfare Office in Cork and that's partially why I've still to draw a day's dole in my life (I'm 27); it looked such a hellish mess, fights breaking out and all. It looks like SUCH a pain in the balls for so paltry an amount of money...

I thought that you could get dole in the post office? if not then what is that huge queue in the cork GPO every thursday/friday for, every week, just those days

• Advertisement

Pobably collecting one-parent family payment or child Benefit. Yes you can get paid into the Post Office, The Bank provided it's not a mortgage account or if you work casually payment is done by cheque in arrears.

Advertisement