Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dipped lights too bright...

Options
  • 25-01-2007 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭

Rather funny incident yesterday... well not that funny...

I came across a car with what appeared to have it's full lights on... (you know, very bright, two lights very close together)...

So i flashed him expecting to get some relief for my eyes. To my horror they were his dipped lights and he then flashed his full beams at me :o

Is it just me, or are lights becoming too bright?? It doesn't help when you have every 2nd car leaving their full beams on in well lit areas.

Those halogen lights (the clear white ones) can be very bright and blinding...

It's fine if you own them or have floodlights on your car, but it's very annoying for other roadusers :mad:

What sort of laws are there regarding how bright your lights can be?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A lot of cars, VW and Fiat in particular, seem to have the angle of dip (factory) set at a very high/almost horizontal angle. There is a switch in all cars that controls the angle of dip and some people just need to switch it down a few points. Maybe if more people flash these guys, they'll get the message? (Yeah right! :mad:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The solution is easy: get everyone to turn their lights off, especially at night becuase of theses eejits. :rolleyes:

On a serious note, it's annoying definately and It's getting more frequent that I think someone's lights are too bright/highly positioned. To the point that it can seriously impair your sight sometimes...people just need to take more care or actually read the manual or at least skim it when they get a new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Xenon lights are usually self-levelling. I'm not sure if the driver has any control over their beam-height.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

yeah those xenon lights were the one's.

I think it must have been a combination of those lights, plus they must have been pointed very high.

i was literally seeing purple and blue spots as i was approaching the car and that was BEFORE he turned on his full beams :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I find dipped lights appear to have a lot more glare when I'm tired.
    Does anyone else ever notice this?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

smemon wrote:
    yeah those xenon lights were the one's.

I think it must have been a combination of those lights, plus they must have been pointed very high.

i was literally seeing purple and blue spots as i was approaching the car and that was BEFORE he turned on his full beams :rolleyes:
    As It BeMee said, factory-fit xenons are self-levelling. May have been aftermarket xenons, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Dyflin wrote:
    A lot of cars, VW and Fiat in particular, seem to have the angle of dip (factory) set at a very high/almost horizontal angle. There is a switch in all cars that controls the angle of dip and some people just need to switch it down a few points. Maybe if more people flash these guys, they'll get the message? (Yeah right! :mad:)

The control in most cars is to lower the angle of the lights when the car is fully loaded/towing a trailer. Unless these people have the boot full of spuds or something, the highest setting should be the correct dip angle.

Re: Xenons - I just collected my car from the garage this evening after having my Xenons adjusted after an NCT fail. They are self levelling but I suppose they need to be told what level is before they can maintain it.

Advertisement