Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Starlet 1996....how much?

Options
  • 25-01-2007 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

My sister in law is finally selling her 1996 Starlet 1.0litre. It has 74k miles, 1 owner from new, full Toyota service history. She was offered €1500 on a trade in on a 04 Corolla Hatch in a Toyota dealership.

Is this a good price or would she get a better price selling private?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

How much would she get off the Corolla without the trade-in?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Anan1 wrote:
    How much would she get off the Corolla without the trade-in?
    dunno if she asked that question, but I would imagine between €500-750. Suppose it depends on how hard she pushes them. I managed to get about €1000 off one a few years ago for the wife.

Lex Luthor wrote:
    dunno if she asked that question, but I would imagine between €500-750. Suppose it depends on how hard she pushes them. I managed to get about €1000 off one a few years ago for the wife.
    The true amount they're giving her for the car is the trade-in price less the discount she would get if she didn't have a trade-in. For example, if they're offering her €1,500 for the Starlet but they'd give her €800 off the Corolla without the trade in then she's really only getting €700 for the Starlet. Does the Starlet have power steering? What colour is it? Is it a Jap import or an Irish car? Is it in good condition?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

2 years ago i got a 01 corolla and traded in a 91 micra for it, got 2000 off the asking price!!

jonny24ie wrote:
    2 years ago i got a 01 corolla and traded in a 91 micra for it, got 2000 off the asking price!!
    This is why trade-in values are so variable - they're a function not only of the value of the car being traded-in but also of the profit margin in the new car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I reckon you could get around €2k for that Starlet if you tried selling it privately. The Starlet is very popular among new drivers, they are tough as nails and go forever.

You should then be able to haggle a good discount off the Corolla.

Anan1 wrote:
    The true amount they're giving her for the car is the trade-in price less the discount she would get if she didn't have a trade-in. For example, if they're offering her €1,500 for the Starlet but they'd give her €800 off the Corolla without the trade in then she's really only getting €700 for the Starlet. Does the Starlet have power steering? What colour is it? Is it a Jap import or an Irish car? Is it in good condition?
    I think it has power assisted steering. Its the dark metallic green one. I think at the time they only came in the green, silver & red. Irish car. Bought in McCoys Lucan and serviced there for last 11yrs.

Lex Luthor wrote:
    I think it has power assisted steering. Its the dark metallic green one. I think at the time they only came in the green, silver & red. Irish car. Bought in McCoys Lucan and serviced there for last 11yrs.
    Sounds like a nice car. I wouldn't really know what it's worth, but colm mcm should be able to give you a pretty good idea. I'd imagine it wouldn't be hard to sell privately either. I'd say the best thing to do now would be for your sister in law to find out what's the best discount she can get on the Corolla without the trade-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

bazz26 wrote:
    I reckon you could get around €2k for that Starlet if you tried selling it privately. The Starlet is very popular among new drivers, they are tough as nails and go forever.

Bazz has it spot on. Used Starlets nearly sell themselves, especially the 96-99series.
    Incidentally, I'm looking out for a 99 Starlet 1.3l, incredibly hard to get hold off at any reasonable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Which Starlet is it? Is it the new (last) model that came out in '96 or the older one ('90-'96)? I'd say the older ones would be worth a lot less. Also, it has to be a 1.3 litre - they didn't sell 1.0 litres then.

I was looking for similar cars around last September/October, and saw a lot of 96/97 Starlets in the Buy & Sell going for around €2,000-3,000.

• Advertisement

Which Starlet is it? Is it the new (last) model that came out in '96 or the older one ('90-'96)? I'd say the older ones would be worth a lot less. Also, it has to be a 1.3 litre - they didn't sell 1.0 litres then.

I was looking for similar cars around last September/October, and saw a lot of 96/97 Starlets in the Buy & Sell going for around €2,000-3,000.
    Its the one before the Yaris and its a 1.0 litre

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Its the one before the Yaris and its a 1.0 litre

The 1.0 litre engine was dropped from the Starlet in 1992 due to cat converters being made manitory. All Irish Starlets from then on are 1.3 litre only.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Yes, and they never sold 1.0 litre engines in those Starlets - only the 1.3 petrol (+ turbo variants) and 1.5 diesel (Japan only).

bazz26 wrote:
    The 1.0 litre engine was dropped from the Starlet in 1992 due to cat converters being made manitory. All Irish Starlets from then on are 1.3 litre only.
    maybe you're right....

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I reckon the Toyota dealer would be giving €1,000 off for a straight deal anyway. wffwctively buying in the Starlet for €500. I reckon it'd fetch €1,500 privately - add the €1,000 discount and you're effectively getting €2,500 for it.

Advertisement