Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

loss of power moving off + Corsa

Options
  • 25-01-2007 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭

Guys, just wondering if anyone knows whats going on here. This is an intermitent problem - it was happening yesterday alot and today its fine anyway down to the problem.
    When moving off in first gear the car starts to accelerate and then loses power for a second or two (ie no accel) and then it suddenly catches again. Ive noticed it a little aswell in 2nd and 3rd with lowish revs. Is this some sort of clutch slippage problem or something else ?

Any ideas ?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Sounds like the clutch is slipping!! More than likely will need to be replaced!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

is there a way I can test this out - because its intermittent, I dont want to bring it into a garage and get charged an arm and a leg just for them to say there is nothing wrong

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

If its only intermittant let it go for a while!! Mine was like that for about 6 months before I got the clutch done!!

I waited until I noticed it happen everytime I changed gear etc!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Is your emissions light coming on?

How old is the car, what mileage has it got? what engine has the car got?

Lose of power with Opel in low revs means EGR Value is starting to give way. You start to notice a loss of power stopping at roundabouts junctions etc.

Get a new part of ebay and get a garage to install it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Does the engine sound like it's running rough at all or does it rev smoothly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Dirty Throttle box maybe. Build up of carbon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I think the thread title is whats known as a 'paradox' ie Power & Corsa in the same sentance ;)

Seriously though, hope you get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

What year and what engine size ??

The EGR valves DO give trouble, they should be cleaned out every 6 months, if they get gummed up you have to repalce them !

Sometimes the air flow unit goes too !

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

happened to me twice with my 10yo 1.4ltr Astra.

First time it was a crack in the distributor cap causing it to misfire. Second time seemed to be crap in the butterfly valve under the carburettor. Mechanic cleaned this up on Monday and so far has been fine (fingers crossed, test is next week - don't want to stall/cut out during that!!).

The emmision light doesnt come on

The car is a 00

Mileage ~ 55,000

Engine 1.0L

I read somewhere that it may be caused by a faulty air flow sensor or somthing ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I read somewhere that it may be caused by a faulty air flow sensor or somthing

.........thats what I said, Air Flow Meter/Mass Air Sensor/;Hot Wire Sender, whatever they want to call it, it WILL bring the light on though AFAIK so maybe its something else !

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lucifer

EGR Valves and Air Flow Meters usually bring on the engine management light on the corsa. One way to get an idea if it is an airflow meter is when the problem is happening, with the car in neutral, floor it and listen, with the air flow meter gone, you will usually hear a loud throaty (dont know how else to explain it!) noise. but as i said, the spanner light should come on on the corsa for either of these problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Ditto on the car type, year(but with 93k on the clock) and problem. Was out in town tonight and parked the car by the river(where it was 2 degrees according to the car). I've had the problem before, and normally only when the engine is cold. No light on the dash though. I had to pull over and floor it in neutral.

The revs held at 2500 for about 10 seconds and then it was fine, but i was actually slowing down the more I hit on the accelerator before I pulled in. I really have to get it checked out. It quite dangerous really

No lights come on and its only really a small delay 1-2sec. Its like the revs go up then level off for a second or two and then catch again which causes the car to jump or judder a little.
    If I could recreate the problem consistantly I wouldnt mind taking the car to a garage just dont want to bring it along and get told there is nothing wrong and charged.

The engine does sound a little rough to me - though im not sure what it should sound like - its my first car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Engine can sometimes sound rough, it's normal because of the strain on it only being 3 cylinder

Advertisement