Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which one?

Options
  • 25-01-2007 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Looking to change to a bigger car. A nice cruiser.
    Requirements are a large boot and diesel (max 2.0L).

Budget is €31500 (asking price).

I have picked these three, and listed what I think are the pros and cons of each, but I would appreciate your thoughts on my selections. (note. I do not like fords, and I am not keen on Jap cars either.)

1. http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=580021
    Pros - Lovely Spec, seemingly reliable, auto, comfy
    Cons - Higher mileage, older car (I say this thinking about warranty and also how easy it will be to shift it in a few years)

2. http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=566222
    Pros - Very hig Spec, newer, reasonable mileage, huge boot
    Cons - Passats are very 'common', How easy is to sell on an estate?, Is the price right? It seems too cheap!

3. http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=501627
    Pros - Newest, Good price, Tiny Mileage, Apparantly one of The most reliable cars available.
    Cons - Will this depreciate much? Spec is good, but not as good as the other two. Manual.

:)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Does it have to be a fairly new car??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭fletch

Is the 1.9 in the Superb only the 105bhp?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Ideally I would like it to be no more than 2 years old, so it would be 5 or 6 years old when I go to change again.
    But for something special I would push out to 3 or 4 years old. (I am not keen at all on the interioe of the 5 series BMW if that is going to be your suggestion :) )

Not sure about the BHP on the superb. There is a 130BHP version, but this one might not be it. I don't think I mind that too much. I drove the 100bhp version and there is enough power to overtake safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,032 ✭✭✭✭unkel

SSIA, prospect? :D

The Passat is the old model. It will depreciate rapidly with more and more new models around. The Audi is way overpriced @ €30k for a 3 year old car. Leaves the Superb, which does depreciate a lot, but the bulk of the initial depreciation has already been suffered by the previous owner. A taxi driver will bite your hand off for it come selling time. Very hard to fault buying it...

Would you consider other cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mack1

That 1.9L is too underpowered for the A6, it's just about enough for the smaller A4. Also, I would consider the auto 'box a con, not a pro, when coupled with a diesel engine.

It's really between the other two for my money, and since you seem to be looking for practicality the estate is a good bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

You may be able to stretch to the newer model A6 with the 2.0 TDI engine on that budget if you're willing to pop over to England...

unkel wrote:
    SSIA, prospect? :D

Actually, no, :p The SSIA money is being wisely used to clear a credit union loan and up the pension a bit. *is there a YAWN emoticon?*

RE: the auto box, I am considering it a PRO, as I will use the car for my 1 hour commute through traffic for work (me and my wife commute together, and we have a stop to a creche each way). Most of the commute is in traffic. Also it is for regular long weekends away around the country where relaxing driving is the order of the day.

I would consider other options.

I will keep an eye out for a nice spec superb, with leather, over the next few months.

RE: UK - I have a trade in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

What about the Hyundai Sonata ...seems to be getting praise from everywhere.

You could get this one with auto and leather:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=552747

Not too sure about the depreciation though:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mack1

Like I said, not a fan of diesels with an auto 'box, but I see your point with your commute etc. In which case I would make sure it's a fairly powerful engine, slow auto change-down can leave you looking for torque.

I haven't yet tried the newer VAG diesels (the new 2.0L for example) but I would highly recommend the BMW 320D, had one as a rental in Germany a while ago and was well impressed. As for the other cars mentioned - the Merc C-class diesel is awful, I mean really really bad and that Hyundai is just horrific.

I would recommend the 320D, the A4, the passat and the and Skoda (but not the leather, Skoda/VW leather feels cheap and plasticy)

Hope this helps!

• Advertisement

I appreciate all your comments.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I wouldn't go for any of the above Prospect, not particulary pushed on the styling on any of them, never mind what Unkel has pointed out. What about a BMW?

mack1 wrote:
    That 1.9L is too underpowered for the A6, it's just about enough for the smaller A4.

Don't agree here at all. Plenty of power in the A6.
    The Passat is actually heavier than the A6.

1.9Tdi A6, curb weight: 3197 lb
    1.9Tdi Passat, curb weight: 3519 lb

Think it's to do with an alluminium chasis

I am not overly concerned with the styling. As a matter of fact, I quite like the understated subtly styling of the superb. I think it hides the fact it is such a big car very well.

A 3 series saloon is out of the question as the boot is too small.
    A 5 series saloon is out of the question as I'd have to go quite old to get a decent spec'd low milage one within my budget.

BK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Superb wins hands down - as previously said the main brunt of the depreciation has already been taken - the interior spec on these cars is great and they are an absolute pleasure to drive I only wish I could afford one! - Having said that I'd recommend you shop around you may get a better spec model with leather interior for a similar price.

prospect wrote:
    A 3 series saloon is out of the question as the boot is too small

The boot of an E46 is 440l, roughly the same size as the one in the Superb (462l)

Do you like French cars or is that someone else? How about a big comfy boat: Peugeot 607 2.2HDI?

Edit: forget the Peugeot - engine too big...

unkel wrote:
    The boot of an E46 is 440l, roughly the same size as the one in the Superb (462l)

Now, that genuinely surprises me. I often saw the boot of a 3 series and thought, meh! Yet open the boot of a superb and it is laike a cavern. Maybe the ope on the 3 series is narrower?

prospect wrote:
    Maybe the ope on the 3 series is narrower?

Could very well be. Size isn't everything :)

The boot of my 7-series has roughly the same capacity as a Skoda Octavia. The Octavia (being a hatchback) is much more practical though!

Dark horse: Rover 75 diesel. Great value, well built, same engine as in the BMW 320d. Again similar size boot, but quite usable

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

fletch wrote:
    Is the 1.9 in the Superb only the 105bhp?

AFAIK only the 105bhp version is the only 1.9 available - it's the only one listed on the Irish website anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It BeeMee wrote:
    AFAIK only the 105bhp version is the only 1.9 available - it's the only one listed on the Irish website anyway.

Superb was available from 2002 until late 2006 with 100bhp and 130bhp 1.9 TDi engines. From late 2006 the Superb got a very small facelift (side indicators moved to the wing mirrors). The 1.9 100bhp TDi has now been upgraded to 105bhp, the 1.9 TDi 130bhp has been dropped in favor of the 2.0 litre 140bhp TDi.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

BMW 320d?

• Advertisement

Read the thread JohnCleary ;)

So what about the 75, prospect?

unkel wrote:

Read the thread? Are ya mad, sure what kind of a loony do ya think I am!

The Rover 75 can be a possible bargain in the UK. Top spec car for very little money... I was very tempted to buy myself but they look a little to grandad'ish for me - I'm only 20

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

unkel wrote:

The 75 diesel is a good buy. OP is concerned about resale value so this may rule the 75 out too.

Very expensive one:
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=577861

bazz26 wrote:
    OP is concerned about resale value so this may rule the 75 out too

Indeed. It is more of a car to hang on to for a long time

RE: the Rover 75.

I am not so sure, and I don't know why. Firstly, I just don't like the look of them, and that shouldn't really matter, but it does.
    Resale is bound to be a killer. But something in me wants to say no. ? ? ?

EDIT:
    BTW, thans for the suggestion Unkel. I would never have considered the Rover, and it was nice to have another option to investigate.

prospect wrote:
    I just don't like the look of them, and that shouldn't really matter, but it does

Of course it matters. To most posters here, a car is not just an A->B tool. If you don't like the looks, don't even consider spending your hard earned cash on it
    prospect wrote:
    thans for the suggestion Unkel. I would never have considered the Rover, and it was nice to have another option to investigate.

Thanks for the feedback!

Agreed - If you don't like the look of it, walk away. They're not a good looking car.

I don't know how that seller plans on getting 18k for that 75, i've seen similar spec'ed ones in the UK for about 6k euro

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

am.....a new octavia....?

Seven Worlds will Collide

Advertisement