Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Small diesel van

Options
  • 24-01-2007 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of buying a small van in the near future (about the size of a VW Caddy). I have only owned cars up to this so I need some advice. What make and model would you recommend and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

joolsveer wrote:
    I'm thinking of buying a small van in the near future (about the size of a VW Caddy). I have only owned cars up to this so I need some advice. What make and model would you recommend and why?

The Seat Inca is basically the same van as the old VW Caddy but they can be had cheaper. Also look at the Ford Connect/Courier, Opel Combi, Citroen Relay, Peugeot Partner and Renault Kango.

The Fiat Doblo Cargo, their vans are quite good and cheap to buy:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=572705

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Ford Transit Connect is a good, solid, reliable van, as is the VW Caddy. The Caddy (newer type) is nicer to drive, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Thanks a lot for the advice. I will probably go for a second hand one. What is the maximum mileage used van that I should consider?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

joolsveer wrote:
    Thanks a lot for the advice. I will probably go for a second hand one. What is the maximum mileage used van that I should consider?

It is not how far it was driven but how it was driven. For example a van could only be driven 3 miles every day to a building site with the rear full of cement bags or blocks The crap has been pulled out of it for those 3 miles every day. In this case the low mileage is irrelevant.

Judge each van on the current condition and service history. Check for signs of abuse or excessive wear especially regarding bodywork, suspension, engine, clutch and gearbox. These conponents usually get the most abuse in a van imo.

bazz26 wrote:
    Judge each van on the current condition and service history. Check for signs of abuse or excessive wear especially regarding bodywork, suspension, engine, clutch and gearbox. These conponents usually get the most abuse in a van imo.

How do identify this wear and tear on the hidden components? Will it be obvious?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

joolsveer wrote:
    How do identify this wear and tear on the hidden components? Will it be obvious?

Some ware & tare will be fairly obvious though you should take a mechanic with you for any viewings

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

I've had my Transit connect a year and can't think of any real complains so I give that my vote

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I drive over 65 miles daily in a Seat Inca, great wee van. No real trouble with it, apart from the rear door lock mechanism failing and jamming.

If you intend carrying ladders, I think the Pug Partner is more suitable, due to it's longer roof and there is a good roofrack available for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭patrickc

my mate had an opel combo for 5 yrs (up till it was robbed on him) they're a workhorse and go forever..

Ford say on their website that the Connect has better security against theft than the competitors. Is there any truth in this.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I really appreciate it.

• Advertisement

I got a Nissan brochure for their Kubistar van. It appears to be identical to the Renault Kangoo van. Do you know if they are made in the same place?
    I have a Renault car which has given me a lot of bother and I would not like to repeat the mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

nissan own renault (or vice versa), that's prolly why they're so alike.
    Toyota corolla d4d - what can i say, it's a toyota!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

ive driven a Renault Kangoo since 2002 and never once had a problem. Some nice extras with it too, remote central locking, Fingertip control Stalk behind the steering wheel for the radio, and plenty of room in the back. higher than an inca or caddy i think.

I would like a van that had a bulkhead between the cab and the load area so that the contents could not be easily seen. Which models have this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

If you're buying a Caddy/Inca, try a decent test drive. I had the misfortune of having 3 of these in their different guises in different jobs. I'm 5'8, and found it so uncomfortable it caused pain in my legs. First of all, the seat can't go back too far, because the load area stops it from travelling, so my knees were bent out to make me fit (And I've short stumpy legs too!), but much much worse than than, is that the pedals are offset to the right, meaning my left knee wasn't just bent out to make it fit, it was twisted awkwardly to have my foot reach, and actuate the clutch. I used to get very bad knee pains driving these vans, and I don't know how anyone taller could manage them for any length of time.

Reliability wise they're fine, never missed a beat, and I hammered the crap out of mine, but I'd never buy one again.

Advertisement