Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When are results out?*Official Thread*

Options
  • 24-01-2007 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

Anyone care to shed light on this pressing issue?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Officially, Mon 12th Feb.

Unofficially, check the web during the previous week, usually out the weekend prior to the 12th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

kaimera wrote:
    Officially, Mon 12th Feb.

Unofficially, check the web during the previous week, usually out the weekend prior to the 12th.
    If the website doesnt crash that is:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Why does a simple question with a simple answer need an "Official Thread"?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

sceptre wrote:
    Why does a simple question with a simple answer need an "Official Thread"?

Why not?

The use of the official tag lets the peons know that they shouldn't start a thread about results, for fear of the banhammer.

Of course, the thread itself is not official in any way, but still!

Peteee wrote:
    Why not?

The use of the official tag lets the peons know that they shouldn't start a thread about results, for fear of the banhammer.

Banhammer according to whom exactly?

/me goes to start thread about when are teh results out..unofficially of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Peteee wrote:
    Why not?
    Because it's extraneous?
    Meh, I prefer a ban slipper myself. When I'm not using it, which is about 95% of the day, I can place it on one of my feet to conveniently match its fellow.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Well surely (*insert 'Don't call me shirley' joke here*) if one were to make another thread about results, when theres already an official one, it would get deleted. Not the banhammer per se (*insert 'Don't call me percy' joke here*) but a mod action none the less.

Eh, Let me know how those slippers turn out (*insert 'Only old people and girls wear slippers' joke here*)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭StephenInsane

The *Official Thread* part was added as an attempt to discourage the riff-raff from making simular threads, thereby clogging up the forum.

No thanks necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

www.si.ul.ie is down at the momento..... UV8 Error - same as every other semester, I smell results a-brewing - they're on their way!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Pixie4

We were told that they would be out Friday eve even though all the notices up say next Monday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

the server normalyy goes down the friday evening from the 2 semesters experience i've had

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

/\/\ I was able to log on to student records there without any hassle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Just checked student records myself and still no sign im afraid :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Funkstard wrote:
    /\/\ I was able to log on to student records there without any hassle

Unless something drastic has happened (e.g. ITD buying a new server to run the Student Admin software) almost every student expecting results will start checking sometime today which will lead to the server that runs the the website for our results etc. falling over sometime tonight if the last 3.5 years are anything to go by. This will probably continue throughout the weekend as people incessently hammer the site in the hope of getting results.

Cheers
    Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

rmacm wrote:
    Unless something drastic has happened (e.g. ITD buying a new server to run the Student Admin software) almost every student expecting results will start checking sometime today which will lead to the server that runs the the website for our results etc. falling over sometime tonight if the last 3.5 years are anything to go by. This will probably continue throughout the weekend as people incessently hammer the site in the hope of getting results.

Cheers
    Rory

qft

Couldn't be a more accurate discription of what will happen in the next 72 hours. :D

Are they always up before the stated date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭hotnipples

Yeah you can usually get them the friday before hand. Last year they popped up in the education part of your student cv a few days before the official date, no sign of them yet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭hotnipples

They are available for me now in the education part of the student cv. 4 A's a B and a C. Now .... to the nearest off-licence!

Aye, edu part of cv.

Happy enough I guess, was expecting maybe a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Finally, the results are up.. Yeah!!

Got 2 A's and 3 B's. ****ing delighted as I thought I'd failed Economics, but came out with a B3. And again Sociology surprises me with a good grade [B2].

If only I wasnt working this evening, I'd be in the pub...

• Advertisement

as predicted, the server has now crashed
    Attention
    An error occurred which prevented the execution of your request.

(Problem-specific error page not found)

Error details :

Middleware : UV8
    Error# : Failure in the connection to the UNIFACE Application Server
    Error Text : Cannot connect to the UNIFACE process on the remote address/port. The system returned: "Connection refused".

Please contact your system administrator.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

yep, the results are up.took about 10 seconds to get them, calm before the storm. once word spreads, expect mayhem on that site!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭ublinia2

Are they just in the Education part of the CV or just up properly??
    I cant seem to log on to the server .It is taking ages to reply.

How many students can the results server take at any given time?

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Site appears to be down already; same 'ol, same 'ol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭ublinia2

waiting 20 mins to get on !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 meanturtle

i got in to the main page after 15 minutes when it got in i got that bland non decorated look and none of the ****ing links worked grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr itd are nazis and scrooges buy a better server and stick linux and apache on it

Ah feck sake does anyone have an idea of how long the server will be broken for?

might take a spin out later and see if there's any computers available on campus this evening with a direct link to the server

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

meanturtle wrote:
    itd are nazis and scrooges buy a better server and stick linux and apache on it

Unfortunately Linux and Apache won't do any good in this case, the Student Information software is based on ASP.net so it needs Windows and IIS (not strictly true with Mono etc.) but it makes sense in this case. Also Apache by default handles about 100 concurrent connections although this can be changed. What would make the most sense to me would be to buy a second server and implement load balancing across both.

@Funkstard the site isn't down it's just very slow and refusing any new connections due to the volume already there. It'll only get better when the number of requests starts to fall off and if it does indeed crash it'll be Monday morning before someone comes in and reboots the thing.

@ninty9er using a machine within the college won't make any difference as you're still making a connection to the same machine infact the only difference is that the route from the machine you're using will be shorter than from your home machine.

Best of luck everyone hope you all do well.

Cheers
    Rory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Ok, now for some reason when u get on to www.si.ul.ie it says the student portal is down and gives a link to get the results somewhere else. Only problem is I keep timing out. Why dont ITD ever learn their lesson and improve the damn server.

Advertisement