Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What wax

Options
  • 24-01-2007 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

In general, what's a good wax to bring a nice glossy wet look on a car. I don't want anything too professional that takes a day to apply!! Something straight forward enough but will give good results. I've been told Autoglym Super Resin Polish as a base but to put a good wax on this to really give it good protection and shine. My car is a rich red colour (Tornado Red Gti)

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Meguiars NXT with some high quality Micro Fibre Cloths A wax applicator of some description, preferably a micro fibre covered foam one.

Happy waxing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

One of the most durable waxes available is collinite 476s, I have some and its very good, leaves a lovely deep shine and lasts ages.

http://www.colliniteautomotive.com/products.htm#super476s

Neil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Mr.B wrote:
    In general, what's a good wax to bring a nice glossy wet look on a car. I don't want anything too professional that takes a day to apply!! Something straight forward enough but will give good results. I've been told Autoglym Super Resin Polish as a base but to put a good wax on this to really give it good protection and shine. My car is a rich red colour (Tornado Red Gti)

Thanks
    http://www.smartcarcare.ie/catalog/index.php?cPath=49&osCsid=3057c4870e1bea6c148422fbbf319a73

Einszett's metallic polish & wax here (red tin) or SmartWax or Sonax No 2 or 3 depending on the condition of your paint, will do both jobs in one step. The Einszett glanz wax (blue tin) can be put on top of the metallic polish & wax if you want, for added gloss and durability. Better finish than Autoglym too. It really needs super resin polish + extra gloss protection (24 hour wait) + wax (3 different stages) to get decent, long lasting results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

Sparks400 wrote:
    Meguiars NXT with some high quality Micro Fibre Cloths A wax applicator of some description, preferably a micro fibre covered foam one.

Happy waxing. :)

Have to agree with Sparks, all Meguires products are great, try the 'purple' tyre dressing, lasts weeks.

X.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

Gets my vote too ! Have been using NXT Tech wax for 18 months now. Originally I had to order it from Demon Tweaks, but Halfords have been selling it recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Another vote for Meguiars - I like the Autoglym too, but it leaves an awful lot of residue behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Mr.B wrote:
    I My car is a rich red colour (Tornado Red Gti)

That's what I have too.

I've used Meguiars Gold Class but be warned it takes a SERIOUS amount of elbow grease to get the shine up(and takes a long time to dry after applying).In fact the first time I used it I thought I'd ruined the paint.
    On the plus side it seems to last a long time

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

My current favourite car wax is Zymol. it produces a lovely shine. It has the famed carnauba wax & smells like bananas!!! Also if you use the Zymol car wash it does a nice job of maintaining the shine between waxes.

For the ultimate shine folllow up with the Autoglym Extra Gloss (with gold label). It is great, especially on a black car, it leaves no chalky residue, no streaks (which are a nightmare on a black car). Also good on red (I have red & black).

A close second to the Zymol is the Autoglym Super Resin Polish (with red label).

Any of the autoglym stuff is good, I recently got the leather cleaner (always used the leather cream before), it did some job on our cream leather couch at home!!!
    The glass polish also can be used on windscreen which is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

My current favourite car wax is Zymol. it produces a lovely shine. It has the famed carnauba wax & smells like bananas!!! Also if you use the Zymol car wash it does a nice job of maintaining the shine between waxes.

For the ultimate shine folllow up with the Autoglym Extra Gloss (with gold label). It is great, especially on a black car, it leaves no chalky residue, no streaks (which are a nightmare on a black car). Also good on red (I have red & black).

A close second to the Zymol is the Autoglym Super Resin Polish (with red label).

Any of the autoglym stuff is good, I recently got the leather cleaner (always used the leather cream before), it did some job on our cream leather couch at home!!!
    The glass polish also can be used on windscreen which is good.

The Zymol sold in Ireland was manufactured / bottled for them by Turtle wax ... It's not real Zymol ........ so d'ont be fooled by branding. Smells good though.

AutoGlym's extra gloss protection will not bond properly to a cleaner wax like Zymol. It is very fussy, will really only work over super resin polish or bare paint. The super resin polish itself contains chalk - you will find compared to proper paint cleansers, it will actually dull the finish over time. German products are far superior to anything made in the UK.

Advertisement