Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Question about Diesel Automatics

Options
  • 24-01-2007 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

From what I've read, Toyota and Honda are producing the most efficient and powerful diesels at present. The problem is neither do automatic gearboxes for the larger engines. Does anyone know the reason for this and is it likely to change in the near future?

I'd like an Avensis or Accord but as I need an auto, it looks like I'll have to look elsewhere

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It simply reflects the chonicly narrow Irish market, if it ain't "vanilla" you could have a job finding the car you want. Diesel/Auto is a very good mix due to the wide max torque range.

Select Diesel and Auto on carzone and so how many cars are returned. They are nearly all exec price/type and 4x4s

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,734 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Consider an auto Passat. I've got one (1.9TDI, 130BHP) and it's a great machine (regular Motors readers will know I never miss a chance to say that, but seriously.. very comfortable, great on long journeys/motorways etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

McSandwich wrote:
    I'd like an Avensis or Accord but as I need an auto, it looks like I'll have to look elsewhere
    A couple of friends have the Passat 1.9TDi and is does appear to be an agreeable bus, but I'm not sure about the automatic version.

On paper, Audi (yes I know they own VW) diesels appear to be a little less pokey than their BWM counterparts. My own 03 BMW 320TD has 150BHP while I think the maximum comparable Audi A4 1.9 engine of the same vintage has only 115BHP.

Be carefull buying higher end Toyotas or Hondas as the depreciation can be horrific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

Thanks for your advice everyone. I was thinking that maybe Toyota and Honda didn't produce auto diesels for technical reasons, but that seems unlikely.

Anyway, I've decide to start looking at 04-05 Passats and A4s...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 tigerbalm

My Volvo S40 D5 2.4l (180BHP) only comes as a Diesel Automatic. It seems to me a be a good combination although I think the geartronic would be better as a 6-speed rather than a 5-speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

McSandwich wrote:
    Thanks for your advice everyone. I was thinking that maybe Toyota and Honda didn't produce auto diesels for technical reasons, but that seems unlikely.

Anyway, I've decide to start looking at 04-05 Passats and A4s...

If you opt for the new Passat they are available with the DSG box as opposed to the older tiptronic, which is supposed to be very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

bazz26 wrote:
    If you opt for the new Passat they are available with the DSG box as opposed to the older tiptronic, which is supposed to be very good.

Yeah, I'm hoping one of those will show up soon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,012 ✭✭✭✭unkel

mike65 wrote:
    Diesel/Auto is a very good mix

And just about perfect for city taxi drivers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Actually Toyota do diesel auto's, just not in Ireland. If your willing to go down the years there are still a few Camry 2.2 diesel auto's floating about, although the majority have been taxie'd by now.Although you never could tell what is being imported from Japan now, probably be lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Consider an auto Passat. I've got one (1.9TDI, 130BHP) and it's a great machine (regular Motors readers will know I never miss a chance to say that, but seriously.. very comfortable, great on long journeys/motorways etc)

Just dont but one like Kaiser's with the gear box about to fall out of it!!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,012 ✭✭✭✭unkel

dubtom wrote:
    Actually Toyota do diesel auto's, just not in Ireland

Is there a corolla or avensis diesel auto yet? Back a few years when European taxi drivers started to swap their previously trusted MB E-classes, Toyota could have taken the whole taxi market in one big bite were it not for the fact they didn't do diesel autos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

McSandwich wrote:
    From what I've read, Toyota and Honda are producing the most efficient and powerful diesels at present. The problem is neither do automatic gearboxes for the larger engines. Does anyone know the reason for this and is it likely to change in the near future?

i did the same search back in oct, had an auto avensis new model for a vew days but it was petrol 1.8 and gave round 34 to 40 mpg... 40 on a motorway
    it was only a 4 speed auto..

i couldnt find any reasonablly priced diesel auto... so i ended up going for the avensis 2.0d 6speed luna... very handy on diesel and averaging over 50mpg!!

nice and roomy too... if this diesel was auto i rekon toyota would sell loads!

my search turned up the vw jetta 1.9auto... but i thought it was a bit small...
    ford do mondeos with 2.0diesel auto but the mondeo,,, decreciate fast...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

If you don't mind paying the money you should check out the volvo diesels, all there big engined diesels come in automatic, the newer ones in geartronic, there all turbodiesels and are all around the 180bhp point and they really are great machines, I think newer than an 04 model they have an 18,000 mile service interval, so that says alot about how confident volvo are in thier build quality and reliability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

slipss wrote:
    If you don't mind paying the money you should check out the volvo diesels, all there big engined diesels come in automatic, the newer ones in geartronic, there all turbodiesels and are all around the 180bhp point and they really are great machines, I think newer than an 04 model they have an 18,000 mile service interval, so that says alot about how confident volvo are in thier build quality and reliability.

volvos are not what they used to be, servicing is expensive, depreciate quickly..... only a good buy second hand when u can get a well spec'd car cheap...

Advertisement