Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will English televisions work in Ireland

Options
  • 24-01-2007 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    The title says it all really! Will UK televisions work in Ireland?

I seem to remember a few years back (before digital tv) there were issues whereby UK tv stations were transmitted on a different wavelength - VHF or something - and an adaptor was needed to use them here.

Any help would be appreciated!

(I posted this in another forum too - sorry for cross posting Mods)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

An 'English' TV is unlikely to have VHF in addition to UHF so

(a) It wont work with most analogue cable TV providers
    (b) will not receive RTE 1 and 2 (via aerial) in many (mainly rural) areas of the country.

Tell us your area and someone would tell you if a UHF only TV is OK to use.

No problem using it as is with UHF, Digital cable/MMDS decoder, Satellite (SKY or other).

The tuner of an Irish VCR can be used as a converter if needs be

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Though many better UK models do have VHF & Hyperband channels.

Digital Cable needs only SCART or UHF. Analog cable maye be phased out.

A cheap VHS as a VHF tuner via SCART or UHF is now cheaper than a VHF-->UHF convertor. Under 50 Euro

Really you need to check your TV's tuner. Also some new UK models have Digital receiver (&anlogue) and the Irish model does not! So in such a case the UK model may be preferable!

I used a UK TV I bought my mum in 1977 or 1976 from around 1991 to 2006 here in Limerick. UHF only. Originally in 1983 when I came here there was no UHF and I used a VHF-UHF convertor for my VHS& TV brought from the north. Now Woodcock hill has all 4 channels in UHF.

Summary:
    Depends on TV and where you live in Ireland, and if you want DTT (Digital Tuner) and can receive UK or Irish DTT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

Lads, while this thread is interesting, it doesn't really belong in the Broadcasting History forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Agreed that it doesn't really belong here, but just to add my two pennies, most analogue tellys sold in the UK these days will have a VHF tuner built in so that the same model can be exported around Europe and elsewhere with only minor modifications e.g. vision - sound spacing, or is already multistandard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Thanks for the replies & sorry for being off topic!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement