Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

4X4s

Options
  • 24-01-2007 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

can anyone tell me which passenger four by fours have the commercial rate of road tax?
    i'm trying to find a landcruiser type 4X4 without the hefty road tax bill.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Now of them.

Only commerical jeep have commerical road tax, not passenger.

Unless you get a crew cabin and pass it off as commercial.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

i have heard that if you started with a seven seater passenger model and had the two back seats removed and tinted the rearmost windows, you could have it officially converted and as long as it was DOE'd before 2003, it can be considered a commercial vehicle with the low road tax with five seats.

everyone i ask seems to have a different version of it though.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

cantdecide wrote:
    i have heard that if you started with a seven seater passenger model and had the two back seats removed and tinted the rearmost windows, you could have it officially converted and as long as it was DOE'd before 2003, it can be considered a commercial vehicle with the low road tax with five seats.

everyone i ask seems to have a different version of it though.:confused:

Afaik here is the situation.

When buying a commercial vehicle new you can get a lower rate of vrt. I have heard it would be possible to get say a Volkswagen Toureg and if you had the rear doors welded, tinted and the back seats removed it could be classed as a commercial vehicle. Not sure if this still stands.

To get commercial road tax you need to be driving a vehicle which is classed as a commercial vehicle as well as using it for a commercial purpose.

I think thats how it works, but not 100% sure. If you did around here you may find out more info.

Advertisement