Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Used car warranty?

Options
  • 24-01-2007 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭

I've just put a deposit on a used car from the North, it comes with a 1 month or 1000 miles warranty from the dealer.

He has offered me an extended manufacturer's warranty at cost price (€260 for 1 year).

Would this be worth getting? I suppose if there was anything really dodgy with the car it will show up in the first week and I can go back to the dealer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭wba88

usually it is 3 or 6 months 'parts and labour' but 1month is ridiculous. My cousin (mechanic) said that 'parts and labour' warranties are worth feck all. If u are spending a lot 5000+ on the car then the manufacturer's warranty might be a good idea. How old is the car? what is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭green123

whats the problem with a parts and labour warranty ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

Its a 2003 Skoda Fabia estate, diesel, looks to be in good nick, paying £4300. This guy is a dealer only so wouldn't have his own service facility, I presume that's the reason for the limited warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭wba88

green123 wrote:
    whats the problem with a parts and labour warranty ?
    dunno TBH i was only told this, i personally thought that it would cover everything

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A 2003 used car should be coming with at least 6 months if not 12 months warranty. If you are only getting one month from a dealer then buy a car from a private seller. A private sale will be lower and the risk will probably be the same. Don't assume that any problems you are going to experience will only happen within the first 4 weeks.

If you are quite happy to travel back up North with the car in the event of trouble then push for at least a 6 month warranty if not 12 months. If he is unwilling to give that then walk away, he is not doing you any favors and could be trying to sell you a lemon.

Also when getting the warranty, get it in writing with the garages letter heading on it, stating what exactly is covered by the warranty, ie engine, gearbox, parts and/or labour. Then get the salesman to sign it. You would be surprised what people assume is covered but later find out is not covered under a used car warranty. Verbal agreements mean nothing in these cases.

Looking at the VRT calculator a 2003 Fabia 1.9 SDi estate with 40k (presume this is a similar model to your one) has an OMSP of around €6,800 meaning about €1,700 in VRT. So your paying around €8,300 for the car including €6,500 (GB£4,300) plus VRT of €1,700 if my calculations are correct. Have you compared prices to down here or in the UK?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

Hmm, decisions decisions.....

I've actually spotted another one almost identical but 1.4 16V petrol instead of diesel.

Located in Dublin, 2 years older but also works out 2 grand cheaper.

Based on 25K miles per year, and the fact that 1.9 diesel = extra insurance and tax, would the Irish reg petrol version make more sense?

Advertisement