Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying hiking boots - colemans of Sandyford?

Options
  • 24-01-2007 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi,

Am thinking about buying some new hiking boots..for hiking in Wicklow, and also for hikinh in Chile/Argentina next year...I definitley want Gortex, and soles that will withstand rocky terrian.....I have noticed that Colemans in Sandyford has a sale, has anybody any experience with this place...do they stock good boots, are they good fitters etc...

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

bobzee wrote:
    Hi,

Am thinking about buying some new hiking boots..for hiking in Wicklow, and also for hikinh in Chile/Argentina next year...I definitley want Gortex, and soles that will withstand rocky terrian.....I have noticed that Colemans in Sandyford has a sale, has anybody any experience with this place...do they stock good boots, are they good fitters etc...

thanks

Colemans are my local outdoor haberdashery of sorts. The only thing I can tell you about them is that they wasted my time for 2 months telling me they'd ordered a Camping Gaz stove (2 ring + grill deal) for me (I was paying extra too, just to support the local business) before finally admitting they hadn't ordered it. The only reason I know of for a company doing that is because they're not paying their suppliers bills. I don't deal with companies like that. I'd also suggest that a shop selling pet supplies, livery supplies and tack, and generic sporting gear aren't ideal when it's something as important as your foot comfort and health that you're entrusting to them during fitting. Nothing personal against them, but my experience wasn't pleasant. I noticed a lot of very outdated stock on their shelves and in the windows too, model of equipment, footwear and clothing that has long been superceded by similarly priced and technically superior products.

If you want great service for boot fitting - Go the the great outdoors on Chatham St. There's nobody else in Dublin that'll give you such a great fit. They'll even custom fit insoles for you for older boots of boots you haven't bought from them. Shop around by all means but from experience, you'll find their prices are pretty fair for footwear too. Personal recommendation for a durable boot brand is Meindl, something with the MFS/Vibram sole unit would be good - Mine have approx. 2k Wicklow clicks on them now and no problems at all.

Regarding Goretex liners - Don't be afraid to go with a boot that has another brand of waterproof liner too, as long as the boot is well made and a good fit. I had a pair of Demon boots with a Sympatex lining (Goretex clone) a few years ago, when Goretex was premium pricetag kit - The soles literally wore out before the liner gave up working. As long as the boot is good, the rest will do the job too.

There you go. Nothing personal against Colemans now - They have their place in the market. But I wouldn't buy boots from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭bobzee

Thanks very much for the info...

I don't know much about waterproof liners..except that Gortex is pretty good, I am sure there are many other alternatives..was thinking of looking for Vibram soles allright.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Great Outdoors as my top recommendation for boots. If you're buying a wooly hat or a goretex jacket you can shop around for a good deal. The quality of brands + the service and fitting are unequaled in my experience and the ONE thing you absolutely positively have to get right is your footwear. Tell them what they're for and they'll give you a great pair of boots.

Just as a matter of interest where in Chile/Argentina are you going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭bobzee

Spent 3 weeks in Argentina in September...about 10 days in patagonia, in el chalten and el calafate. Did a few 6 hour hikes around El Chalten...really enjoyed them. We tried to go across to Chile to Hike the 'W' in Torres Del Paine...but a snow storm had moved in the week we were there and it was impossible to even drive into Torres Del Paine, never mind hike it.

So hopefully next year I will return to Chilean Patagonia to Torres Del Paine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 crusherbennet

Just a quick reply to your article about Colemans,I have been a customer of theirs for over 40 years.For starters,and if you knew anything about running your own buisness,any buisness that has survived for over 50 years,must be paying their bills and they must be ok at running a buisness to survive,especially in these economic times.You could call them a heberdashery,but that is because they stock a hugh selection of products and I always see new products in store all the time.I like the shop,it is interesting and,from my experience,overall,they are much cheaper for the same products in other stores.Anybody who uses the word "livery supplies" obviously does not know what they are talking about and probably knows nothing about horses or equestrian goods.
    Yes,I agree that your walking boots are very important,but what about Mephisto,Lowa,Hans Wag,etc.these are also great boots.In my Mephisto Boots,I have walked the Wall of China,been up Kilamanjaro several times,spent 15 days in New Zealand and there was tropical rain every day,guess whose boots were the only boot not to leak?.And I have walked in Peru,Slovakia,France,etc etc.
    I also do not agree with you about old stock etc or generic products.
    I dont normally write blogs,but why are I rish people such knockers.You might not like the place,but I know for a fact that many people love the place.Again,nothing personal,but your opinion is only one persons opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

I think he gave an honest description in fairness, can't say he was 'knocking' them either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

that post is 4 years old ??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Yeah, and it's crusherbennet's first post.....

Not your ornery onager

Woops, think he has done Coleman's of Sandyford a big disservice, resurrecting a topic that is 4 years old!

Can't imagine they'll be too happy at all.

Advertisement