Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to take off back bumper?

Options
  • 24-01-2007 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I'm currently looking to sell my punto its a mark two elx 1.2 metallic gold but I need to take off the back bumper to respray it as it has some scratches on it, does anyone know where I could get an online reference on how to take off the bumper. I dont want to buy the manual as i'm selling the car anyway and it would be a waste. I want to just make the car as nice as possible for prospective buyers and respraying it on the car is not an option as the paint runs and gives a rubbish finish. Any advice would be very appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Would it not be easier to mask tape up the areas you don't want to spray?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

No I tried that and the paint runs and it looks wrong. I need the bumper to be horizontal so i can give it an even coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

if you're putting out enough paint so that it runs, you're putting out too much

many small coats > a few heavy ones

Wossack wrote:
    if you're putting out enough paint so that it runs, you're putting out too much

many small coats > a few heavy ones

Maybe he is using a brush and some hammerite:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

I'm using metallic spray paint made up in halfords. It seems no matter how lite i spray it on it runs. even a stready run over it quickly from 30cms makes it run.

• Advertisement

Ok Joking aside. As you are spraying, keep moving the can. There is no need to keep you finger pressed to release the paint all the time. Try short bursts "flicked" over an area. You don't need to cover all the primer in the first pass. The idea is to build up several layers of paint, rather than 1 layer. The paint will get darker with each pass.

If the paint is running while the bumper is on the car, it will still run when the bumper is off. The bumper is not flat and the paint will be allowed to run.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement