Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Realigning light after failed NCT

Options
  • 24-01-2007 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

The car failed the NCT due to the inside light being too high. Could i fix that myself? Heard talk of it being easy to do by just driving yer car up close to a wall and aligning it with the light that was fine.

If not does anyone know any decent garages around the clondalkin area where i can get my astra serviced at the same time and how much does a service typically cost? I remember getting a flyer in the door from some place a few months ago saying a full service for €99

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Its possible to align your headlamps - www.popularmechanics.com/how_to_central/automotive/1347221.html?page=2

As for service costs - what exactly is a 'full service'? €99 sounds great but I would be curious to know their level of experience, etc. I would approach with a bit of caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

You may get it in the ball park doing a DIY job but unless you are very, very lucky I doubt you'll get it through the NCT. The NCTS' testing equipment is very finicky to the extent that some of the kwik fit type places can't even say for sure that lights aligned on their gear will pass.

IIRC it cost me €40 to get mine done a while ago in kwik fit or fast fit in JFK ind. est. behind Woodies on the Naas Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭manti452

35 yo yo's in the Fast Fit in coolock inds estate.. I got mine done two weeks ago tho im not convinced their right :S

Reckon I'd get laughted out of the place if I asked them to recheck?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Nope. If you're not happy take it back. It will only take them 5 minutes to re-check them for you. Then they'll either tell you that they're properly aligned or they'll spend 10 - 15 mins getting them right.

You paid your money, you should get what you paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭manti452

milltown wrote:
    Nope. If you're not happy take it back. It will only take them 5 minutes to re-check them for you. Then they'll either tell you that they're properly aligned or they'll spend 10 - 15 mins getting them right.

You paid your money, you should get what you paid for.

Cheers lad :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I've always aligned my own lights on every car I've had, and never had them fail the NCT.

And since they got rid of the Fail Advisory on lights it's easier to align them, as the correct range for a Pass is wider than it used be.

Reqd: measuring tape, a wall and a screwdriver (or allen key whichever your light mechanism requires for adjusting).

Face the car directly at the wall, with the front of the car 20ft back. Mark on the wall a line 2ft off the ground. Put your lights on on dips and wind them down till they're just under the 2ft line. Done.

(Fortunately for me the 5th cap on the wall beside my driveway is the 20ft mark, and the plaster "skirting" in the front of the house is 2ft high!)

Advertisement