Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rag Week

Options
  • 24-01-2007 3:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭

Me, a lowly first year down from the big smoke has no clue as to what lies ahead in this week of supposed debauchery known as 'rag week'

What's it all in the name of? Is there stuff organised? Do classes still go ahead? Do lecturers know people won't go if classes still go ahead?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Rag Week is a supposedly charity-driven festival around UL. Basically there's loads of entertainment - you'll see stuff like mud wrestling in the stables courtyard, bungee jumping in the staff car park near the church, and bands/DJs playing the stables. Last year, for instance, Republic of Loose played. Not my idea of a good waste of money but there ya go.

There are still classes on, but as a first year, whose results don't even count once you pass, I wouldn't exactly agonise if you don't make it in for your Friday 9am start that week.

Rag Week is also, and perhaps I should have started with this, the most liver-busting, drunken messiness-enducing five days all year. But it is some craic. If you like that kind of thing. Hope this answers your questions. But really, just head into it prepared to go with the flow, and you'll thoroughly enjoy it.

EDIT: Spotted your question about lecturers. Lecturers do not give a fiddler's fart if you never showed up for college, be it because of Rag Week or because of the morning repeat of Deal or No Deal. You're not in play school any more ya know!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Another first year here, not exactly down from the big smoke but close enough :p Anyway is it on the monday to friday before paddys day? I think I read that somewhere. Does anyone know any specifics about the events going on this year, NUIG where trying to get snow patol afaik or maybe it was GMIT. Don't think I'll be worrying about lectures too much that week :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Last year it was week 4, so I presume it's the same this year.

Its drinking...lots and lots of drinking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Get ready for some Mary I invaders :D:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Fast_Mover wrote:
    Get ready for some Mary I invaders :D:D

If Mary I is so great, why do ye keep coming to UL :D

And dont give me 'Oh Mary I is really part of UL'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

Funkstard wrote:
    Me, a lowly first year down from the big smoke has no clue as to what lies ahead in this week of supposed debauchery known as 'rag week'

What's it all in the name of? Is there stuff organised? Do classes still go ahead? Do lecturers know people won't go if classes still go ahead?

Thanks

I remember my first rag week down in the U of L. Got arrested for being a bolox and spent a night in a garda cell - I felt pretty silly at the time but it was an experience I wouldn't want to take back! (not that I'm advocating such things).

I spent most of rag week in forth year in the library and was always amused every day by the sight of first years staggering around at 3pm trying to go to sleep on car bonnets. It may seem like a mad idea to go on the batter at 12pm but that age you should really know your limits.

I'm old and grey now so my advice is to enjoy it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Partay in our gaff I assume :)

MaryI's invited I suppose :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭StephenInsane

Rag week is a week of drunken degenerate slobs degrading themselves. I will use the week to improve myself through reading and study in the deserted library, while the lower-orders of UL poison their minds and bodies with the devil's buttermilk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

This year will be my 2nd Rag Week in UL.
    Last year was a bit of a blur..[trying hard to recall it, after the Stella incident on the Monday it becomes difficult..]
    I do know that the Stables is ticket only just like Xmas Daze, with the proceeds going to charity again.
    I have not gone there for Xmas Daze's or Rag Week yet, and don't see myself doing it either. It seems like good craic but why bother i ask??
    Like Kaimera said, we'll probably have another house party with loads of Beer de France and Apache pizza's!! Usually the door is open. [even for Mary I's]

On the subject of lectures, as already said, nobody cares if you do or don't turn up generally, so nothing changes in Rag Week!! Thank God I say, even though may QCA will be affected...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Peteee wrote:
    If Mary I is so great, why do ye keep coming to UL :D
    'Mary I' and 'great' in the same sentence?!!:eek: hehehehehe...oh that funny!
    Rag week is a week of drunken degenerate slobs degrading themselves. I will use the week to improve myself through reading and study in the deserted library, while the lower-orders of UL poison their minds and bodies with the devil's buttermilk.
    That's the spirit!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Ah, see in my course we don't have the option of repeating exams, and we're not sure but we thing the QCA might kick in from first year. Will still enjoy it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Mossin wrote:
    This year will be my 2nd Rag Week in UL.
    Last year was a bit of a blur..[trying hard to recall it, after the Stella incident on the Monday it becomes difficult..]
    I do know that the Stables is ticket only just like Xmas Daze, with the proceeds going to charity again.
    I have not gone there for Xmas Daze's or Rag Week yet, and don't see myself doing it either. It seems like good craic but why bother i ask??
    Like Kaimera said, we'll probably have another house party with loads of Beer de France and Apache pizza's!! Usually the door is open. [even for Mary I's]

On the subject of lectures, as already said, nobody cares if you do or don't turn up generally, so nothing changes in Rag Week!! Thank God I say, even though may QCA will be affected...
    You have to try the Stables thing for RAG Week/ Xmas Daze at least once. Tis a good laugh and the atmosphere is great. You couldnt do it all the time though its fairly packed and it puts a big dent in your finances !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

It will more than likely be week 4 of the coming semester, as was pioneered by last year.

I don't get rag week...you can get drunk at 12pm any day of any week if you so wish, and without the hassle of having to fight your way to/from a bar to get most of your pint spilt on you/angry other from its plastic cup. Grrr...down with plastic cups!:mad:

It will more than likely be week 4 of the coming semester, as was pioneered by last year.

I don't get rag week...you can get drunk at 12pm any day of any week if you so wish, and without the hassle of having to fight your way to/from a bar to get most of your pint spilt on you/angry other from its plastic cup. Grrr...down with plastic cups!:mad:

Drink at home so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Ya but whats your excuse, You just look like an alcoholic any other time of the year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Rag week is in Week 5 this year, according to this:

http://www.ulsu.ul.ie/forum/index.php?topic=563.0

Good job it got changed, some of us have FYP's due in Week 4.

cooperguy wrote:
    Ya but whats your excuse, You just look like an alcoholic any other time of the year :)

*zing*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

kaimera wrote:
    Drink at home so :)

I do. That's my point: what's the big deal about rag week in the first place, just drink at home if you so wish. Why do people need to look forward to a week that is messy? :P

I do. That's my point: what's the big deal about rag week in the first place, just drink at home if you so wish. Why do people need to look forward to a week that is messy? :P

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa...

Don't tar us all with the one brush! Some of us look forward to RagWeek for the drinking and the craic at home :)

Tho I can see it being a bitch this year with fyps and all that :(

Advertisement